Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ski Suggestions

Triumph is single concave. I believe Burneror charger is double.
    07 Outback DD

Burner is definitely double concave. I think the entire comp freeride group is double concave. I want to stay away from this design on my next ski.

iwaterskihard,
    Let me know what you have. I don't mind buying something used. Just PM me. Otherwise, I may seriously consider the Triumph. Also, a friend is bringing me his Connelly (not sure which model but it's a single concave) and said he would trade me even if I like it. He wants a ski but his kids mostly wakeboard and nobody ever rides it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Any other suggestions?
    2012 Moomba LSV

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    I agree with the Concept. I skied on one for many years. Very stable for me.
    I echo that. I have been skiing on a Concept for the last 4 years and love it. One important point is to be sure to get good quality bindings and get a full binding for the back foot as well. Having a full double binding made a world of difference in control for me vs. a toe plate on the back foot. Just for fun, I checked overtons and they have one on sale for only $399, which is a great price.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...3&merchID=4006

Good luck, can't go wrong with this ski at that price.
    2011 outback V
    GIII Ballast system, upgraded port side to 750lbs
    Standard Sony stereo with added Exile tower speakers
    Connelly concept slalom
    Hyperlite Broadcast surfboard.

Friend brought me a Connelly FX to try in the spring. Anybody familiar with this ski?
    2012 Moomba LSV

So here is what I can tell you on that ski.
    I have always been a Connelly fan - does not mean much since I am not that great of a skier.
    I brought my 9 year old Conelly Concept down to Ski Paradise and they highly recommended I change skis if planned to ski the course. I had been hitting it pretty hard at (open water at home) shortline on the Concept - but skiing all wrong - felt good though.

They put me on an HO Monza - and I liked that - had some success - easy adjustment. I think you could pick up a used one on ebay pretty cheap. - Get the correct size.

I asked the pros at SP about the F1 and they all warned me off of it based on my style. I am not aggressive enough. Jamie B. skis it but I think he could probably ski a 2 x 4.

A friend who skis similar to me and about the same age got an F1 and was never comfortable on it. After several years of frustration he finally dialed back to an F1X and seems to be very happy with that.

But you should try the F1 - I would if I had ever had the chance (actually did but the binding was too big so bailed)

In my opinion most of us are not good enough skiers to tell the difference between most good skis and really good skis. So the best ski in the world is really the last one you had a really good set on. If you had two good sets - buy it if it is reasonably priced.

I went from my Concept to a Radar Annex - because I got a good deal on the Annex. I thought it was helping me, but my coach pointed out this year that it may actually be hindering me. So I upgraded to an HO A2 and seemed to ski better. Not sure how much is mental - but I could actually detect the difference once he pointed out what was going on.

Good luck and have fun.
    Dave
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 01-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Default Ski Suggestions

Everything Dave said above is true about the F1, it's a pro-level ski, but I believe the FX ( not making by that name anymore) is a wide-body shaped ski. Given everything else you have said above, don't think you are going to be interested in that ride.
    Jeff

2012 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelskier View Post
    Everything Dave said above is true about the F1, it's a pro-level ski, but I believe the FX ( not making by that name anymore) is a wide-body shaped ski. Given everything else you have said above, don't think you are going to be interested in that ride.
    That's what I thought when I saw it. It is a wide ski. The only thing I do like about the design is that it does "not" have the V concave.....but it is still a very wide ski. May be an improvement over the burner but probably not what I am looking for long term. Still thinking Triumph at this point or something a step up from that but used.
    2012 Moomba LSV

Just to give you a heads up .The triumph is considered a midwide ski. Not Wideride ,yet not Skinny like the hardcore skis either. Does make for a little easier starts and is still a fairly agressive ski. Really only rated to ski 28,to 32 mph i believe although i ski mine at 34mph and no problems,I could actually ski it slower,but i like the speed. This ski is apparentely a fairly common ski used in one of the Semipro ,amatuer waterski series. Sorry can't think of the name...
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Triumph is single concave. I believe Burneror charger is double.
    I actually saw the ski I was talking about over the weekend when I was down to the coast. He has a Charger and it's definitely the double concave-- would not recommend this to anyone serious. I didn't like it at all.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

A Radar Theory would be another great choice. I have a Radar Strada, Radar's high end ski, for when I'm in the course. And I still love to free-ski on my Theory when I get to the open water and the conditions aren't perfect. If your just free-skiing and you have no intentions of getting into the course, you're going to want a fiberglass ski or a blended ski, over a full carbon ski. The fiberglass ski will be damper and give you a smoother ride. The Triumph would also be a good choice. A new Triumph is around $470 and the theory is around $330. The triumph is an oversized version of the cofficient x, HO's mid-level ski. While the Theory is a wider version of the Strada, Radar's high-end ski. Both ski's are great options for what you are wanting. You could also look at the Radar Senate as well, not the Senate C as that is a carbon ski. The Senate is for speeds up to 34mph while the theory is up to 32mph. If you can, find a local dealer that will let you demo ski's and just see what you like best.

Also, when you get your new ski take the wing off the fin. You really don't need it unless your a 36mph skier or a short-line 34mph skier.
    Last edited by travnews; 01-19-2013 at 02:06 AM.