Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Screech

Default Trans Screech

I have a 99 Outback LS that has 400 hours on it. Last season we started to notice a high pitch screech from the tranny area. The noise was short and very loud. This happened a few times while skiing, never just cruising or at high speed . I checked the fluid level of the tranny and added a trans booster. The problem went away until the end of the summer. Then it happened 5 times during a ski run. We stopped the boat, and pulled it for the year. Could it be the bearings? The tranny shifts fine and has no vibrations under power. Any Ideas? Thanks....Allen
    99 Outback LS

Default Replying to Topic 'Trans Screech'

I thought I posted this already, I’ll try again. It may also apply to the Kanga noise problem.

I’d start with the prop shaft bearings or shaft packing, either too tight or fouled. I think you are chasing the wrong source. I’m not an expert, but I believe tyrannies go thunk, by-by. I’ve never heard of a recurring screech. That’s my guess, worth what you paid for it.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Thanks Smokedog,

I had seen previous posts about tranny noise, but thought maybe someone had heard something similar. Maybe it is the packing and bearings. The shaft was leaking badly at the end of the season. When I had someone listen to the Tranny (they put their ear right on it as I shifted and took it up to speed) They heard no thunk or unusual noise of any kind. The fluid was not burned and it had no odor or discoloration. We'll check the shaft bearings and replace the rope. Thanks for the reply! Allen

Thanks Smokedog,

I had seen previous posts about tranny noise, but thought maybe someone had heard something similar. Maybe it is the packing and bearings. The shaft was leaking badly at the end of the season. When I had someone listen to the Tranny (they put their ear right on it as I shifted and took it up to speed) They heard no thunk or unusual noise of any kind. The fluid was not burned and it had no odor or discoloration. We'll check the shaft bearings and replace the rope. Thanks for the reply! Allen
    99 Outback LS

One thing that may help the boat winter well is about once a week turn the prop a couple revolutions by hand. I don't know if the packing and/or shaft will stick together causing potiential problems in the spring. But I would think some kind of preventive maintenence may be in order. I actually did this last winter. Don't know if it helped, but it didn't seem to hurt either.
    Hope this helps
    Butta
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I have posted here about my Moomba Kanga with a similar high pitch squeeling type noise. I had received a few responses and suggestions for trying to resolve my problem. I very much appreciate input from fellow members. I had planned to do some work to my boat during the off season. I recieved some feedback from Brian Raymond who suggested that I start with the prop which is a little dinged up / one blade slightly bent at the very end. Brian also suggested a check of the shaft alignment. I also planned to replace the shaft packing and the bushing on the shaft that is under the boat. I work at a chemical complex in Texas and we had a large explosion in Oct. so I havent got to do any work on the boat yet this winter. Once I do, I will post and share the results ( hopefully good results). If anyone else manages to resolve their squealing noise, please let me know what you did so I can see if I'm heading in the right direction.

thanks, Cliff

I have posted here about my Moomba Kanga with a similar high pitch squeeling type noise. I had received a few responses and suggestions for trying to resolve my problem. I very much appreciate input from fellow members. I had planned to do some work to my boat during the off season. I recieved some feedback from Brian Raymond who suggested that I start with the prop which is a little dinged up / one blade slightly bent at the very end. Brian also suggested a check of the shaft alignment. I also planned to replace the shaft packing and the bushing on the shaft that is under the boat. I work at a chemical complex in Texas and we had a large explosion in Oct. so I havent got to do any work on the boat yet this winter. Once I do, I will post and share the results ( hopefully good results). If anyone else manages to resolve their squealing noise, please let me know what you did so I can see if I'm heading in the right direction.

thanks, Cliff

That will be the first thing that I try then based on your experience. Thanks for the reply. Cliff

Thanks for all the replies and info. Does anyone know if you have to use a prop puller to change the shaft bearings? I already chnage the shaft packing whenever it starts to leak, so I know how to do that. Also, are the bearing kits hard to install, and is the shaft alignment better left to a dealer, or can I do it? Thanks! SkiBoy
    99 Outback LS

When you say you change the packing whenever it starts to leak, I'm assuming you mean really leak as in the water runs in in a steady stream. If not and you're changing it and tightening it because you're getting a few drops in through the packing, then that could very well be the cause of the screech.