Default Dash Switches Control by the ignition

Has anyone modifed the switches on the dash (i.e. blower, bilge, ballast, etc) to only have power when the key is in the igintion and turned 1 click? I am not very mechanical, but hopefully this modification would not be that difficult. My kids like to climb in the boat and play, and occasionly a switch might get left on. If I hide the key, the switches won't work.

Thanks

Default Replying to Topic 'Dash Switches Control by the ignition'

There should be a small breaker switch wired near the battery. I believe this will kill the power to the dash and switches. I'm not absolutely sure, so maybe someone else here can help or try it yourself. I am sure that if it works it would be a heck of a lot easier to trip that breaker (just has a red button you push in to throw out the connection) than to rewire the entire panel.

Instead of modifying the ignition switch, add a battery disconnect, or better yet, with the disconnect, add a second battery. I added a battery and switch to allow me to use battery 1, 2 or both. This is good insurance when I float/anchor/beach for long periods of time with the radio on. I also turn the switch to off which disconnects the battery when I store the boat. When the switch is set to off, your rockers will not be functional for little fingers to play with.

Will

Lowdrag is correct. I found this out the hard way when I must have accidentally tripped it getting the boom stored. The boat ran fine but I had no accessory gauges such as radio or wake plate control. Luckily I stumbled on the breaker and tripped it back and everything worked fine. If you manually tripped this, I would think it would lock out the accessory buttons until you tripped it back.

I think I would check to make sure that the bilge will still work on automatic if you make this modification. If you trailor your boat or keep it on a lift then you probably don't care but I leave mine in the lake all summer and would not use a battery disconnect.

Andy