Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There is no salt water in the engine or exhaust system on an indmar assault ss. It is completely closed. It has tanks and a circulating pump.
    -Jake

The cooling raw sea water has to be expelled some where ......most likely just after the exhaust manifold where the tstat housing exhaust dump hose is located on a non sea water unit, just after the exhaust mani to cool the muffler. It is probably close enough to still cause corrosion in this area......how about a larger pic of the motor area??
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Thats what I was getting at with what DOCDRS said. Somewhere raw sea water has to come in and it has to go out. Somewhere is a heat exchanger.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote from Indmar saltwater series engines:

"Indmar SaltWater Series cooling systems are completely closed loop systems. That means salt water will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Again, salt water "will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Here's the link: http://www.indmar.com/Engine/moomba/5.7lassault345.aspx
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Interesting. Don't know how that works exactly but pretty cool
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Quote from Indmar saltwater series engines:

"Indmar SaltWater Series cooling systems are completely closed loop systems. That means salt water will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Again, salt water "will never enter the engine system or the exhaust manifolds."

Here's the link: http://www.indmar.com/Engine/moomba/5.7lassault345.aspx
    I read that too , but there is also this

If you use your boat in Salt or Brackish Water Ride Australia and Supra boats recommend a fresh water cooled engine or the salt water series engine. Salt Water series and fresh water series engines still require flushing.

The cooling water has to be discharged into the exhaust (which is not the exhaust manifold) to keep the exhaust rubber and fibreglass muffler cooled. Depending where it is dumped in (see pic) corrosion could definitely occur at the housing interface. An exploded view (pic ) is needed

exhaust corrosion.jpg
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    I read that too , but there is also this

If you use your boat in Salt or Brackish Water Ride Australia and Supra boats recommend a fresh water cooled engine or the salt water series engine. Salt Water series and fresh water series engines still require flushing.

The cooling water has to be discharged into the exhaust (which is not the exhaust manifold) to keep the exhaust rubber and fibreglass muffler cooled. Depending where it is dumped in (see pic) corrosion could definitely occur at the housing interface. An exploded view (pic ) is needed

exhaust corrosion.jpg
    Interesting. Wish I could see more pics. The difference between the FWC and FFWC was that on an FWC engine it was common to have to replace the riser every couple of years even with flushing the raw side of the system regularly.
    On the FFWC engine you eliminate the riser corrosion issues.
    That's all I was saying, both systems are considered full fresh water systems. I definitely agree you still have to flush the raw side of the system regularly. As JMB said it still has the exchanger.
    -Jake

Jake, I was not trying to contradict you , just further the thread on how corrosion may have happened. And yes, I too would like to see ( on his engine) where they dump the water to cool the muffler otherwise the rubber and fiberglass would melt from the heat. The cat exhausts I think has allowed them to close cool the exhaust mani/risers as they are a single casting
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Thats where I'm at with this Doc. Not going to argue though. The exhaust has to be cooled one way or the other.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Guys I don't know if your still around this thread, I'm sorry for the late reply I went to work abroad for a couple of months and was away from the boat or forum.
    I ended up changing the etx cat manifolds which did cost me a lot!
    Doc you are right and the picture you posted looks a lot like my engine I just have a heat exchanger more, the raw water is expelled thru those stainless steel elbows which might have caused the corrosion in that area.. Other possible causes of this is that I have mixed diff type of coolants, using the throttle when in reverse (which can lead to that raw water is pushed up), salt water dripping over engine compartment(from boards and ppl coming out of the water)
    I'm still not sure what exactly caused the problem.. Although I do flush my engine with fresh water every time I use it.
    Thanks a lot and sorry again for being late.
    Cheers