Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Etx cat manifold problem

Hello everyone i'm new to the forum, Im from Kuwait and own a 2010 moomba lsv with an indmar 340hp salt series engine.Im far away from any indmar dealer and my moomba dealer isnt really helpfull and lack knowldge about indmar engines, hopefully i will get some help from you guys..

I was doing annual service on the engine and when i turned the engine on after changing oil i heard a loud noise coming from the left etx manifold right at the end circle where it meets with the exhaust with a little water/coolant leak.
    I opened the parts up and found that end circle of the etx has coroded and obvious gaps/holes are what causing the problem.I will attach some pics to make what Im talking about clear..

What i would like to hear is that this is covered under the warranty! If not please i would like some recomendations about what to do ? Shall i weld or patch the holes? Is a certain type of welding needed for this type of exhaust manifold? Or should i just email indmar and get a new one shipped to kuwait?

About what caused this problem i think it might be because of me using the throttle when in reverse or something else Im not sure.
    I also operate my boat in salt water all the time and it has 280hrs on it.

I would appriciate any input or help thanks in advance.image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by moomba88; 12-24-2012 at 04:54 AM.

If I had to guess, it would be salt water issues. In my experience with salt water in past with my other boat, I was replacing exhaust manifolds and risers every 3 to 5 years. I flushed the boat after every use. If it's a salt water issue, I doubt Indmar would cover it. This is just my opinion. I quit salt water but I realize you may have no choice.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I definetly agree salt water caused this problem, i just dont understand how saltwater got to the manifold as i have the salt series (closed cooling) engine.Yes we dont have any fresh water lakes only sea water creeks.
    Thanks for the input Jack.

You have the full fresh water system with one price exhaust risers that use coolant, therefore no salt water should be in there. Sounds like a warranty issue.
    How does the heat exchanger and zinc anodes look?
    -Jake

*One piece* auto correct got me!
    -Jake

Hey Jake my heat exchanger looks great and the anode is still above half length, but how could the anode relate to this?
    I will be trying to reach indmar myself i guess my moomba dealer doesnt even answer the phone.
    Thanks for the input and merry Christmas.

Salt water is some nasty stuff, it wreaks havoc on us at work

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

No relation. Just trying to understand the condition of the boat overall. From the severe break at the edge of the weld I think it has poor penetration. Tough to tell from just a picture but it seems possible that the rust is a result of them leaking once they cracked and then eventually severely failed. Total guess. I'd be shipping them to indmar and getting their expert opinion. I guess the question is who would you want removing them? Indmar can probably help there too.
    -Jake

I guess i'll be contacting indmar after the holidays, hope to get back on the water asap.

I think salt water still has to go through the risers and all even though it is a closed loop system. I may be wrong but I think it may be the case. Start your boat with a fake-a-lake and if water is coming out of the exhaust then it is raw water not closed loop water if that makes sense. Not totally sure how all that works.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar