Hybrid View

Default Block Heater vs Winterizing

I live in Houston and it really only get's below freezing about 15 nights a year w/ the absolute low being typically around 20. I have heard from others in this area that they have never drained their block and the boat is fine. I'm not ready to go that far but am considering using some block heaters instead on winterizing. Anyone ever done this? Opinions?

Here are a couple of the options:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kats-15200-Dip.../dp/B000BO74DG
    http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Hand...=pd_sim_auto_2

Let me know what you think.

haven't done this myself as I have the dealer do a full winterization on my boat, but I think there are a minimal number of plugs to pull to drain the water from your block. I bet someone will confirm that this can be done in 15 mins or so once you know what you're doing. For me, I'd go this route vs the heater or maybe even drain & the heater. It would give me more peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    haven't done this myself as I have the dealer do a full winterization on my boat, but I think there are a minimal number of plugs to pull to drain the water from your block. I bet someone will confirm that this can be done in 15 mins or so once you know what you're doing. For me, I'd go this route vs the heater or maybe even drain & the heater. It would give me more peace of mind.
    I drained it all last year and it wasn't hard but I would like to try and take it out once a month over the winter. We have still been getting 75 degree days. It makes it more of a pain if you have to do it 4x instead of once.

Quote Originally Posted by bhowell View Post
    It makes it more of a pain if you have to do it 4x instead of once.
    I hear ya, but I think it would be a bigger pain having to get the motor replaced.

i think the block heater would work fine as long as there is not a like a major winter storm that knocks out electricity in your storage unit. likely hood of that is low and if that were to happen im sure you could head over there and drain it all real quick
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I wouldn't mess with that dipstick tube setup at all!

The magnet ones seem simple enough - but I'd consider adding a bungee cord or something to make sure it doesn't fall off. Not willing to bet the farm on it without some insurance.

If you're really serious about it, you could go with something like this-
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=752718

Basically knock out one of the soft plugs on the end of the block and in this goes.

Soft plugs are the silver dollar looking plugs on the right and left. They are a press fit and not too terrible to get to.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Got the block warmer and 100w right now. Still haven't had a freeze. Hope to go out in the next 3 weeks.

Winterize over block heater. Really guys. 15 days. Must be rough. Since my boat sits for seven, eight, or nine months I drain the water out of it. Last winter my idiot neighbor left his 96 outback full of water outside and it still didn't freeze. Wouldn't be my luck.
    -Jake

I have been known to ski/wakeboard in February. I went December 3rd, 2012. Not worth winterizing. Use the oil pan heater and I start it about every 3 weeks.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I always winterize but part of that is because in my insurance policy it states i cant use the boat between 11/1 and 4/1 this also makes my policy cheaper.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]