Default Multisport Wakeplate - Retro fit

I am interested in possibly adding the Multi-Sport Wakeplate to my 2011 Outback. Has anyone attempted the DIY installation? I would also be curious as to what results the Outback could get with adding the
    Wakeplate?

My wife and I primarily ski, but the kids will most likely want to get into wake boarding as well. Is it worth the $2,000 for a dealer to install??

Any opinions are appreciated!!

Thanks
    2011 Outback
    Kicker ZXM700.5, Roswell Tower Speakers
    Kicker 6.5's, JL 8W3v3 in Custom enclosure

I have no experiance with the wake plate. I picked up this package the other year; http://www.wakemakers.com/direct-dri...t-package.html It works well for me. Significantly less cost than the wake plate price you mentioned or going built-in ballast. The down side is clear, cluttered floor space.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

My opinion is that the wake plate would help your ski wake but not a wakeboard or surf wake. The plate (deployed down) helps to pick the stern out of the water more. You want the rear sunk for wakeboard/surf (plate all the way up). This is essentially what you have with no wake plate. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Boonejeepin; 12-12-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I agree with Boonejeepin. The wakeplate is only for sking. Moomba needs to rename it, "The NO-wakeplate." Since your boat already has a flat wake, there is no need to add it. Even though they take up space, your only option is water ballast.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Thanks for the feedback! I can certainly dream up some other items I would rather spend the $2K on for improvements / upgrades!!
    2011 Outback
    Kicker ZXM700.5, Roswell Tower Speakers
    Kicker 6.5's, JL 8W3v3 in Custom enclosure

Have seen this discussed before, BUT The wake plate does not deploy downward (to lift transom) but in fact raises up allowing the water to rise up to it and project outward and upward depending upon the amount raised. On our '04 outback, the plate does a good job of beefing up the wake for the boys to have some fun wakeboarding. We use the additional length of the plate at neutral (lowered as far as it will travel - to water level) to make the ski wake even better than the great wake created with the standard static tab mounted in the aft recess of the hull. We also use the plate at about half way up to raise the bow enough to cut through the chop as we head out to the course on less than perfect days or fight the wake traffic on the way back in! Using the plate in this way improves the rough water handling of the boat to the point where we can bomb across the open bay high and dry with little effort. Just my two cents...