Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Busted! Tinted windows too dark

Well my luck ran out - on the way in to work this morning I got pulled over by a State Patrol K9 unit. I know my windows are over the limit for too dark and I wasn't speeding or anything so as I came to a stop I rolled them both down just in case that was why I caught his attention.

Sure enough. He was nice enough and said that last month an officer here in town was shot approaching a vehicle with dark windows. Said if they can't see in from the outside then they are going to start cracking down - new policy in WA state. I tested out at 14%.

He actually thanked me for rolling down the windows for him too. Their other new policy apparently is that they will treat it like a felony stop and take you out hands drawn, at gun point if deemed necessary?, for having dark windows! Said they're not messing around or taking any chances with it now. Probably one of the nicest Staters I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet - let me off with just a verbal warning.

Guess I know what my next project is now. I think I'll feel kind of naked without them dark though.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Seems like our state goes through kicks where they police window tint for a couple months and then the focus shifts elsewhere. I got a ticket probably 5 years back and was told a story about why they were policing it. I see both sides but I don't see myself pulling the tint anytime soon, not trying to downplay officer safety.

Also, seems hard to police, both from logistics and a double standard point of view. Here in AR, it is a correctable offense.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Could be the same here. I'll have to scope out what it looks like at the 24% limit. Not super dark but better than naked.

If I recall the stuff I have was advertised at 20% but guess it was a bit more! If it were mid-day I probably wouldn't have had any problems but it was dark enough this morning that I'm sure I looked totally blacked out when he got in behind me.

I can see the guy's point though. If i were on the beat and approaching a darked out vehicle I'd be a little on guard as well.

Here in MN, any vehicle categorized as a truck or SUV, even those ugly Kia Soul's, can have blacked out windows behind the driver, and up to 50% in the front seat windows. Cars, however, are limited to 50% all around (except windshields of course). Stupid law, as it doesn't apply to limos, which include sedans used for airport car services.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I got popped for that waaaaay back in the early 90's w/ my Mustang. Had the headlight covers on it, too and the local cop just had a major woody writing up those tickets. Went to municipal court, showed them I had purchased the car from the local dealership (whose family was connected to the judge) and got it all dismissed.

It's all about 'who you know'...

I was waiting for the book to come out and me start dropping names of officers I know (brother is a cop, his best friend a stater, etc.) but didn't have to go there.

Funny thing is - I haven't been pulled over or had a ticket since I was in college back in the 90's. Talk about a long time ago.

I've never been busted for Window Tint violations and all of my vehicles have been tinted to 5% all the way around. I even have my windshield tinted 35% now. However I have been pulled over for a noise ordinance violation about 13 years ago...guess I was pushing those 3 tens a little too loud. Funny thing was there was no one and nothing around except cotton fields...and well I guess the cop hiding in one of them. Must've interrupted his on the job nap since it was about 11:00 at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

I can defiantly understand their concern with Officer Safety issues. glad he was cool and gave you the verbal warning. makes the stop a little easier to swallow. not the tough decision to "tint, or not to tint"

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Most of the newer cars have some tint in the glass from the factory. This is why your 20% tested 14%. The percent will vary from car mfg to car mfg. I have learned in Ohio to make sure the fronts a less than the back it helps. Have had one issue about 5 years ago. Stopped for tailgating the wife, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Well my luck ran out - on the way in to work this morning I got pulled over by a State Patrol K9 unit. I know my windows are over the limit for too dark and I wasn't speeding or anything so as I came to a stop I rolled them both down just in case that was why I caught his attention.

Sure enough. He was nice enough and said that last month an officer here in town was shot approaching a vehicle with dark windows. Said if they can't see in from the outside then they are going to start cracking down - new policy in WA state. I tested out at 14%.

He actually thanked me for rolling down the windows for him too. Their other new policy apparently is that they will treat it like a felony stop and take you out hands drawn, at gun point if deemed necessary?, for having dark windows! Said they're not messing around or taking any chances with it now. Probably one of the nicest Staters I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet - let me off with just a verbal warning.

Guess I know what my next project is now. I think I'll feel kind of naked without them dark though.
    I know what ya mean Berg.

Hey check out Tommy's window tint in Portland, he does all our cars and did the boat for me.

In OR the windows have to be lighter then in Washington. If you want to play it on the safe side get the OR tint you wont harder know the difference but it ensures your in the limit.

Youd be surprised just how dark legal tint is.

I have legal on the truck front and factory on the rears, slightly darker.

IM not positive in OR but in AZ you can run limo on all windows except the front as long as you have a mirror on each door. No different then a panel van or anything.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]