Default Help selecting a board

I've never wakesurfed before, so I don't have a board. I tried surfing with a wakeskate toward the end of this season, but I was never able to let go of the rope because I would have immediately slowed way down. Didn't work out, lol.

I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs, but here's the rub...I'd like to get a board that my two boys could use...they are 14 and 12, and both weigh about 110-120 lbs. Obviously they will be growing up.

So is there a board out there that might not be optimal for the three of us, but something that everyone could use reasonably, just to see if they like the sport?
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

personally, I think skim style are easier to teach on than surfstyle.
    I used to always answer this question with hyperlite broadcast. large, floats easily and rides forever, but the last few I've taught have had an easier time on my phase 5 daniello pro.

I'd look at the phase5 either prop or razz. both are going to be a tad big for the boys but they will grow into them quickly. both are good boards as your skills progress. the broadcast is just a large floatable sofa that you will outgrow quickly if you stick with wakesurfing..

my .02

oh ya, and get a dedicated wakesurf rope. don't use a wakeboard rope. the chances of getting caught in the handle are not worth it..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    oh ya, and get a dedicated wakesurf rope. don't use a wakeboard rope. the chances of getting caught in the handle are not worth it..
    There is a picture on the Supra site that proves just that.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I think you need two boards. Even with the larger Broadcast that they can ride it will be harder for them to control. Keep your eye out over the winter on classifieds pages and ebay. Get a nice board for you that they can grow into and look for a cheapo smaller one they will eventually outgrow anyway. Good luck and welcome to a great sport!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs, but here's the rub...I'd like to get a board that my two boys could use...they are 14 and 12, and both weigh about 110-120 lbs. Obviously they will be growing up.

So is there a board out there that might not be optimal for the three of us, but something that everyone could use reasonably, just to see if they like the sport?
    I'm your size and faced this very same dilemma. Went with the Inland Surfer Squirt (5ft) for a first board and have been very happy with it. Fast enough to keep me entertained but small enough the 100lb kids can still ride and control it. Price is not up in the clouds either. I am planning to add a board or two more to my collection but this was definitely a great one to start with. I can speak from experience it is faster than the HL broadcast, LF venture, and other starter type boards. Fits in a standard WB rack - bonus!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 205lbs, and i bought a Phase 5 Razz last winter and love it! I started with an twin tip obrien 5" can't remember the name and it was good for learning but very floaty so smaller people had trouble getting up on it. The Razz is way lighter and handles better.. i love it. If you really wanna shell out get the Phase 5 Danielo Pro, my buddy has it and it is a sweet sweet board!!!
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Will a Razz fit in a standard wakeboard rack?
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

This was our first season surfing and we started with an inland surfer an worked our way to a LF 5'3" Fish. Smooth board everyone rode. My seven year old rode at the end of the season too
    Hauss66

2002 Möbius V
    325 HP Indmar Assault

Ordered an Inland Surfer Squirt from boardco.com...thanks for the advice guys!
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV