Default Looking for a ski instructor in the North East

Hey All,

Not sure how many members from the New England area are out there, but I figured I would give it a try. Looking for a place for my son to get some slalom lessons in the lake Winnie area of NH or the Sebago Lake area of ME. He is 11, but has maxed out beyond what I (or anyone we boat with) can teach him. I found a coule of places on-line, but figured I would reach out to the Moomba "family" too. Thanks for any suggestions.

Erik

000_0321.jpg
    2012 OBV

Erik – I took a look at USA Water Ski for clubs located in New Hampshire.

There are four:

• Squam Ski Club, Ashland
    • Dubes Pond Ski Club, Hooksett
    • Abenaki Water Ski Club, Wolfeboro
    • Pegan Cove Ski Club, Wolfsboro

I think Abenaki Water Ski Club runs on Lake Winnie.

Perhaps one of them can give you direction to a coach who can give your son one-on-one time. Also, might consider getting him into a club. In addition to developing as an athlete, he will find friendships with kids who share his same interest in the sport.

I looked for collegiate teams in your area, thinking that they, too, might be able to direct you to someone to provide your son with lessons. No luck. Your part of the country is better known for its deep roster of snow ski talent and highly competitive collegiate snow ski teams.

I think you are on the right track and know your son will definitely benefit from lessons. Be aware, as he improves he is going to pound on you to trade that v-drive for a direct drive tournament tow boat. Consider an Outback. Love mine! - Stuart
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.
    He is going to have to try really hard to get me out of the OBV since his older sister boards & they both like to surf. He can bum a few rides off a ski boat each season if need be.

I knew I would get something from the Moomba family on this. Thanks.
    2012 OBV

What kind of ski is your son currently skiing on? I highly recommend you putting him in a proper ski for his age, hi=eight, weight, and ability prior to getting him those lessons. Let him ski it a few times and get comfortable on it. Once he is comfortable riding the ski the coaching will be much more beneficial for him as he won't be trying to fight something (the ski) to try and accomplish what the ski coach wants him to concentrate on.

I would also consider getting this coaching closer to the summer months or as close to when you put your boat in the water so he retains what he has been taught?

If you're willing to pay the money for real honest hard core coaching another thing you might want to try is ask the coach for two requests:
    1) Can you ride in the boat and watch your son's progression?
    2) Can you video tape the lessons for your son to go back and watch and help him retan what he is being taught?

Don't kid yourself dad.................you will learn too!

Keep him going on that slalom ski as there isn't very many of us left on the water anymore!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iwaterskihard View Post
    What kind of ski is your son currently skiing on? I highly recommend you putting him in a proper ski for his age, hi=eight, weight, and ability prior to getting him those lessons. Let him ski it a few times and get comfortable on it. Once he is comfortable riding the ski the coaching will be much more beneficial for him as he won't be trying to fight something (the ski) to try and accomplish what the ski coach wants him to concentrate on.

I would also consider getting this coaching closer to the summer months or as close to when you put your boat in the water so he retains what he has been taught?

If you're willing to pay the money for real honest hard core coaching another thing you might want to try is ask the coach for two requests:
    1) Can you ride in the boat and watch your son's progression?
    2) Can you video tape the lessons for your son to go back and watch and help him retan what he is being taught?

Don't kid yourself dad.................you will learn too!

Keep him going on that slalom ski as there isn't very many of us left on the water anymore!
    Great Advise skihard. And to top it off it didn't cost 90.00 bucks an hour

sent from my ipad2 via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Something you might think about as well, Most kids want a car at 16, maybe you can look into a second boat when your sone start wanting more from his Ski then your V drive. Its not very expensive to buy an older MC Stars and Strips, Moomba, or Nautique Ski boat. You can pick them up under 10K now a days and it would make a great Ski boat, you can teach your son how to take care of it.

I know when i have kids if the ski bug hits them and i can swing a cheaper ski boat for them i would do it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mmandley you speak the truth. I couldn't be happier with the two boat system. The OBV is a pretty good ski boat for open water but if he starts skiing the course a DD is the way to go. Your right for 10k you can find a boat that skis as well or better than most new ski boats. plus the maintenance is pretty straight forward on the DD.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I am a bit away from the 2nd boat. The wife is still getting over the shock of getting the OBV

My son was sort of "fitted" this past year. He is on a HO grifter (62" I think) with rear toe plate. he tried it out before buying & that is what he used on our OBV test drive. I figure 1 more season on that and he will be looking to upgrade.

As far as lessons go, we can not go too early around here due to the weather anyway. I found a couple of places with certified instructors that will take you out on their boat. They allow passengers too, so that is a plus.

Thanks again for the info. Hope everyone enjoyed a good Thanksgiving. Now I just have to get through December & then I can start the countdown to boat season.

Erik
    2012 OBV