Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ski pylon solid? Thinking about shortening

This spring I absolutely have to get a new cover made. One of the weaker points of the old cover and where it gave me a lot of problems and ended up ripping several times is the tension caused from it riding up over the ski pylon, then pulling down tight in the back. I think in part the tall ski pylon helps to create a high point for drainage with the cover on but my boat does not sit out in the weather.

So prior to getting the cover made I'm thinking about pulling the ski pylon off and heading to a machine shop to have it shortened. I've given up on the flush pop-up pylon idea and figure I could live with just a shortened one. I mocked it up and like the looks of it. But does anyone no if they are truly solid? I'd hate to take it in, have them start cutting it down, then find out I'm screwed because of a hollow core...

Or is there any drawback I'm not seeing to having a shorty?

Before

After

Before

After
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

You can take it out and drill a hole in the bottom to see if its hollow.
    Only thing i can see from it being shorter is if you pull tubes the rope might rub on the rear deck.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

why not just take it off and leave it off? I think with the shortened length you wouldn't be able to pull anything without it rubbing on your deck and ripping it to you know what.

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

The Supra pylon isn't much taller than your shortened version when we have it out. I've never had an issue with it rubbing the sunpad.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

good idea, hope its solid

if ya like, we are supposed to go out sunday, I can toss out a ski rope and see how far down the pilon i can go before it touches the pad while underway
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I attach my surf rope to it, other than that the occasional dreaded tube...

We have towed tubes with my buddy's Bu which has the short popup style and have never had rubbing problems. I'm pretty sure the nose high attitude on the boat while pulling keeps the rope from rubbing 99% of the time.

Did a little digging around and came up with these to show the clearance now. I bet for the most part it will be fine.

But yah Daze, I'd be curious to see how far off the deck you need to keep the rope so you don't rub at around 20-25 with tube in tow. Although your boat is definitely taller than mine.

I haven't pulled the one off of the Moomba, but the one on a MC 205 and a Marlin Magnum skier were both very solid.

If you take it to a scrap yard, you probably have $100 there.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Greg, I am pretty sure mine is hollow. You will know once you unbolt it and look through the threaded bolt holes in the pylon.

One drawback to your shorty idea is that you may have trouble swinging a tube back and forth behind the boat because the rope will likely catch on the wake more. Not sure how important that is but both my kids like to tube so we spend a fair amount of time doing it. When my 8 yeard old is back there with her friends, they like to go back and forth over the wave slowly so if I was to cut my pylon down, I would have hard time doing that due to the rope catching on the wake.

If you are slinging the tube back and forth hard (as my son likes me to do when he is riding back there with his friends), then it probably won't be as big of an issue.

Maybe cut it down some but not as much as you're thinking.

I know you have some little ones, so something to think about.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks Al and good point. We do whip the kids around quite a bit as well as some slow pulls. Guess I'll just have to pull it off and check out the mounting holes to see if it's hollow. It feels pretty stout compared to most of the newer boats I've seen and the number of times I've crashed into it and about broken a limb leads me to believe it's solid so we'll see.

Berg I pulled mine out last year and it is definitely solid. The other thing is there is a large bolt that threads into the bottom of it to secure it. You would have to get it cut down then drilled and tapped. I thought about getting rid of mine all together but I have a buddy that skis.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"