Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Z5 Cargo Rack for new S-Bend Tower on Supra 242

I recently bought a 2012 Supra 242 Launch. It was one of the first made with the new S-bend tower from Roswell. Unfortunately, the folks at Z5 didn't have the new cargo rack devised yet.

So, as I was planning my winter upgrades, I thought I'd call and see how much one would be. My jaw hit the floor when my dealer called me back.

Are you ready?

$4800 for the assembly + $800 for the tower mounting arms + Installation if needed!!!!

Maybe I am missing something here, but we are talking about less than 50' of tubing, a piece of canvas, mesh net, and a few foam rollers. This is more than a lot of decent used boats, and it doesn't have an engine.

The rack is rated to hold 60lbs. That is almost $100/lb of carrying capacity!!!! Plus, the new z5 sits below the tower speakers, thus removing about 8" of headroom too.

Has anybody else done this as an after market mod?

I am thinking about fabricating a few support bars and adding it to my current bimini. I really only need it to be strong enough to hold a tube for the kids.

I talked to SC, and they couldn't provide me with the specs on what size tubing is used in the z5, so if any of you have one that you wouldn't mind measuring, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    2012 Supra 242 Launch Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by scottieturnbull View Post
    $4800 for the assembly + $800 for the tower mounting arms + Installation if needed!!!!

WOW, that is not worth it at all
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The first biminis on the Moomba towers were rigid. Tubing, cloth top and two channels on the tower to slide it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zabooda; 11-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

other than not having the ability to store items on it, the bimini on the OZ tower is great
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

You aren't paying for the materials ... you are paying for the function and appeal.

As someone who has one, it would be hard to look at a boat without it. With that said, doubt I'd pay 5k. Tough call.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Ive already ran into this problem and im pretty sure i will just have to get used to not having one on the new boat.

Right now the boats im looking at Z5 doesnt accomidate so im SOL. Also i dont think Z5 is making there product for the current 2013 Moomba line as all the towers have changed.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'd say for a fraction of that you could have something custom made that would perform as well or potentially better. Just gotta find the right shop that could do it. $5k is crazy.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I imagine there is a patent so that would limit the competition. For that price, you may be seeing others making something similar.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I think the CEO of z5 is smoking crack

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

no he's not. at that price, he's not selling enough to buy crack.

he's enjoying some MD 20/20....

I'd look for other options if it was my boat. a local metal fabrication shop should be able to take a pic of another z5-similar bimini and fab up a frame. sunbrella should be under $500 from a reputable car uphol. shop...
    looks like you just found your major winter project...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten