Default thoughts on XXX boards

looking for some new boards for myself, wife and kid

I always like to try and have matching brands when we do this type of thing.

I like the inland surfers but just cant really swing all 3 of those, so Im looking at 3 of the XXX boards.

We will never be high end surfers, just hard core weekend warrior types

so what are your all's thoughts on them, or are there some better/other boards out there for the price that im not aware of.

prefer skim style boards also
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I persoanlly really like the XXX boards. They are a pretty fast and light board for being a stamped main line production board.

Just make sure you are getting the 2012 or 2013 versions, these have the new outter coating that isnt as soft and dingable.

I have used the 2011 model a lot and it digs with just the slightlest touch but the 12 got a new outter coat that you can bang around pretty easy.

As for Skim boards cant really help you on that except.

I would look into a Victoria Skim they run in the low 300s and are solid boards.
    Phase 5 are excellent skim from what i hear but run closer to 600
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Run down the FL coast to Venice and talk directly with the Phase 5 crew! Super guys and they have great boards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phase 5 ftw...

I have ridden a dozen or so xxx boards and they are all nice. I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up if you find a deal you can't beat..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

So it appears you'll be the one I'm bidding against this winter on eBay for a XXX board...

I've only ridden one - I believe the one Mike is referring to - a Slayer or maybe was a Slasher. Fast board. Best comparison I have is to my Inland Surfer Squirt - got to ride them back to back this past summer.

Squirt felt more like a skim style than this particular XXX.
    Speedwise I think the XXX was just slightly faster.
    Squirt was easier to carve but pearled easier.
    Could not ride away from a 360 on either of them - yet...

I still want one -
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    So it appears you'll be the one I'm bidding against this winter on eBay for a XXX board...

I've only ridden one - I believe the one Mike is referring to - a Slayer or maybe was a Slasher. Fast board. Best comparison I have is to my Inland Surfer Squirt - got to ride them back to back this past summer.

Squirt felt more like a skim style than this particular XXX.
    Speedwise I think the XXX was just slightly faster.
    Squirt was easier to carve but pearled easier.
    Could not ride away from a 360 on either of them - yet...

I still want one -
    Biggest issue with you riding the 360 away was those are Surf boards with longer fins and so you really have to make it track in a circle.

Skim have very short fins around 1inch at most and ride very loose and spin easily. The big thing i have seen is Skim dont accelerate down the wave and then up to get air time.

Surf does and i think this is one reason a lot of Skim riders are actually moving into the Surf style boards.

I personally want a Skim because i dont have one and my best bro would love a skim a lot more then a surf
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

unless you have some serious skills, you are correct on the above..

skim style, xxx makes some great boards for the coin. unless you ride a bunch of boards back to back, the term "better board" is totally subjective.
    my inland surfer 4skim is a much more "loose" board than my daniello pro. my friend's Calibrated Piscus is as loose as the 4skim, but a larger board. again this is all imo.. mike might have the opposite thoughts. fins make a big change as well. swapped a smaller fin on the daniello and it became a totally different board.

pick them up daze. they are great boards and if you don't like them, there's always the forums/ebay to peddle them. they are a little cheaper board but will still command a decent price so you won't be out as much as a set of 5's if you go a different route in the future..

I started out on skim and am now switching to surf style and love it. I wanna see fins
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Got a cheapo XXX last year right after Christmas. It was loosy goosy at first and I could barely stay on top of the water with it. Got used to it and love how it feels like you are sliding sideways down the wake. It's awesome fun. Still haven't ridden a 360 out on it yet though. Look for deals right after Christmas. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

think im going to go the XXX route---well that just sounds wrong. let me try that again

think im going the Triple X route, well, that still sounds a little wrong. let me try one more time

think im going to get the triple x surfboards, yep that sounds better

have not heard anything bad and for the price I feel i can not beat it. even these budget boards will be more than my abilitys can use. i just like to get out and have fun
    Last edited by moombadaze; 11-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I've been riding a XXX surf style board for the last couple of years great board. I picked up a Byerly Volt a month or so back and only got to ride it one outing and man it was a fun board once I got the fins figured out. I was hoping to get out on it a couple of more times before the water temps dropped below 62 deg, but not happening water temp today was 60 deg at our local lake. Between visiting colleges and wrestling starting up I believe the season is over.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!