Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying Truck

We did the school research and picked a neighborhood and price range and looked on the internet for 6 months. Made 2 trips and bought our house on the second one. I wish we would have lived here for 6 months before deciding where to live. While our house was adequate, it was not quite right for us and we ended up staying there for 6 years before putting it on the market and 2 more before it sold. So, 8 years in the wrong house. I say go live there a while and move again. A local move is WAY easier than a cross country move. BTW, this time around we sold, moved in a temp house (there are tons available if you know where to look) and lived there from May to Oct. till our deal was finalized and we got in our new one. So I moved twice this year with 6 kids in school. It can be done. Oh, and I didn't use any movers and only rented a truck one time for part of a day Boat owners are resourceful. You can make your plan work.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

C&S - if I remember correctly, you're in a townhouse or apt now, right? This may sound unconventional, but here is a thought: sell it all in Jersey and temporarily move into a furnished place in SC. This will let you accomplish the best of the advice above. In a sense, you will move once, you get to scout out the area for the right location/home and you're wife is happy that she gets new stuff for the new home. And, trust me on this, NOTHING you have today is going to "work" in the new house so you're going to buy new anyway and sell the old on CList, just now in SC after you've paid to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    And, trust me on this, NOTHING you have today is going to "work" in the new house so you're going to buy new anyway and sell the old on CList, just now in SC after you've paid to move it.
    It's odd how none of it "works" huh?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    It's odd how none of it "works" huh?
    never thought about that myself but damm, there is some truth there. the ONLY furniture we still have from the old house is the dining room table and matching china cabinet and our bedroomset that has been put into my daughters room. Everything else was replaced. Boy i now know if we ever move long distance to just sell before and get new when we get there and that would really take some stress off moving and save some money too-for the move anyway.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    Hey Deerfield...curious on how you prioritized what you needed to do and how you're conducting your house hunting...We thought about renting for like a 6 mo lease so it would get us down there and then we could look at many places.
    Cigars – Priority is being a great employee. Only way I know how to accomplish that is to leave the family and immerse myself in a new job.

First time was in the early nineties, when I left Illinois in the month of September for an assignment in DC with the Justice Department. My wife stayed in Illinois with the two boys (ages 5 and 3). Before leaving, I sold the house and put our stuff in storage. She and the boys moved in with her mother. I needed very little and lived on the cheap. I was able to work long days without guilt and use weekends to search for permanent housing. I vividly remember the Saturday afternoon I called her, thoroughly discouraged by housing costs and fruitless search results. She encouraged me to keep looking. Not long after, I found a development in its early phase located south of Quantico VA that fit our budget. We moved into the new house in February and had a great experience. Did not use the services of a realtor.

With a change of administration in the White House, I had an abrupt departure from the Justice Department. I put the family (then three boys) on a plane to Illinois and stayed behind to pack up. Thankfully, house sold quickly. Used a realtor. We put our stuff in storage in Illinois and moved in with her mother while figuring out the next chapter. Found my way into banking and eventually bought a house in the same town where her mother lived.

This time around, it’s the same priority. Immerse myself in the new job and work long hours. Family will follow. It may take six to nine months. I am living in a hotel for a couple of weeks while looking for interim housing. Again, I need very little and can live on the cheap. The boys are older now (26, 24, and 19), so don’t need to factor in schools and such to the same degree. For her, want reasonable access to Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes, and close by to Starbucks. I want lake proximity. Compared to twenty years ago, the main difference with this search is the Internet. I use it to pull data of all sorts and search the sale and rental markets. Like the move to DC, this is an area about which I know nothing. So, I get in the car and drive, drive, drive.

If you are looking at long-term satisfaction, then I think your idea of renting for six months is spot on. Yes, on net it may add to your expense, but it gives you plenty of opportunity to learn the area, decide what you like best, and make an informed decision. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Whether or not you have school aged children, schools remain a good indicator of quality in any area. Be sure to drive by the local ones in the places you are considering and look up their info online. Best of luck to you in your search.

Great point about Craigslist. You don't have to move your old furniture and junk anymore-- just sell it and buy it back when you get there. You can actually upgrade quite a bit if you are patient. Saves a lot of moving and especially storage expenses.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So I've been paying on a storage for about 9 months now ~$900 or so total, consisting mostly of a couch, loveseat, kitchen table and chairs, couple tv's, lamps, and the rest is mostly piddly stuff. The idea was to save this for the older daughter so she has something to start with when she moves out. This is at least the 3rd time I'm second guessing this idea. Thinking we should sell it off while it's still worth something and dump the storage. Save the proceeds of the sales and give that to her as a "move-in" present. Thoughts?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

dump the storage unit, use the 100 a month on "boat expenditures" and throw the money from the furniture sales into an account for her. dump an extra few bucks here and there for her and its a win-win!

sent from my home phone
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    dump the storage unit, use the 100 a month on "boat expenditures" and throw the money from the furniture sales into an account for her. dump an extra few bucks here and there for her and its a win-win!

sent from my home phone
    Completly agree, you can goto dozens of the cheap furniture places and pick up an entire living room with tables sofa, chair, love seat for less then 1G. Then she can get a cheap little dinning set used, use her SINGLE bed to sleep in LOL>
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Save the proceeds of the sales and give that to her as a "move-in" present. Thoughts?

great idea, gives her a budget and she picks her own stuff and has pride in buying her "own" stuff
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart