Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Movin' on....

Default What should I keep in mind?

I want to convert the garage into a guesthouse.

Thinking about:

• Removing and replacing the roof with a steep pitch to create a second floor room.
    • Insulating, adding a (first floor) bathroom, and replacing the two large garage doors with windows.
    • Installing a spiral staircase.
    • Installing a heat and cooling source.

To keep the cost down, I will go simple and do as much of the work as possible myself.

Appreciate design ideas, technical suggestions, and what to avoid.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Check building codes to see if the studded structure can be made into a second floor. You may need an engineerer to determine that. What power source is out there? You may need a new line to support a kitchen and HVAC, most garages only have limited power.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Check building codes to see if the studded structure can be made into a second floor. You may need an engineerer to determine that. What power source is out there? You may need a new line to support a kitchen and HVAC, most garages only have limited power.

Thanks. I will check the building code. There is electricity to the garage door openers, ceiling lights, and receptacles. To keep it simple, not adding a kitchen. Just putting in a bathroom.
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Life in Richmond is good. Judy and I have taken to rural living. Drive to the office is about 40 minutes. Church is a 30 minute drive. We replaced the ten-year old Highlander with a 2015 Subaru Forester. Nice car and fairly inexpensive. Still have the RAM pickup. Boat pretty much sits in the garage. Hook it up to the garden hose every couple of weeks and run it in the drive. Time will come that we can get back on the water more frequently. We go through tons of data service connecting to the Internet. Glad we have satellite TV to enjoy college football. Roll Tide! If any of you guys are passing through on I-64, you are welcome to drop in if you need a place to stay for the night. Cheers!
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Maybe you can get it off the hose put it in the water soon. Give me shout and maybe we can meet up on the water sometime. We live in Powhatan rural area, not too far away. Going to hit the river this afternoon.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold