Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: new Tow Truck

I have never seen an ecoboost advertised to get 25 mpg. And it may with the AC off at 50 mph on flat ground. I know at 60 mph in my dodge hemi I am getting over 20

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

The 2011 commercials stated 22 mpg and the Ford website has the 2013 spec listed at 23 mph. I'll take either over the 15.7 my Silverado shows I'm getting today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Single cab 4x2 lol

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

IDK i still think anyone claiming over 20 with a GAS full size truck is full of it. No way in Hell you will get that in Oregon.

No way since 06 they have changed the F150 so much as to get 8+ MPG better. That would be a 50% increase in milage just by changing an engine?

My 06 F150 got 12 in town and 16 on the highway. 4x4 Supercab wighed in at 6500lbs.

I have said before i know when i goto AZ i can get 20 in my Diesel on the highway and about 17 to 18 in town but its FLAT there.

I also havnt seen any modified Diesel get worse milage then a Gas truck, only exception would be the Chevy V8 that turns cylinders off to make it a 4 banger on the highway but that only works when there is no load on the truck

I also find it hard to believe a 3ton truck with a V8 is getting comperable milage to your average V6 car weighting in at 2 tons. IDK, the math just doesnt add up. More cyclinders more weight larger wind surface but equal mileage to a smaller engine, smaller windsurface and lighter vehicle.
    Last edited by mmandley; 11-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mikey I been watching them deals, I seen one few weeks ago 10k off msrp. The wife wants a new suv so I'm closer to having a suv sitting in the yard then a eco. lol
    2012 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    IDK i still think anyone claiming over 20 with a GAS full size truck is full of it. No way in Hell you will get that in Oregon.

No way since 06 they have changed the F150 so much as to get 8+ MPG better. That would be a 50% increase in milage just by changing an engine?

My 06 F150 got 12 in town and 16 on the highway. 4x4 Supercab wighed in at 6500lbs.

I have said before i know when i goto AZ i can get 20 in my Diesel on the highway and about 17 to 18 in town but its FLAT there.

I also havnt seen any modified Diesel get worse milage then a Gas truck, only exception would be the Chevy V8 that turns cylinders off to make it a 4 banger on the highway but that only works when there is no load on the truck

I also find it hard to believe a 3ton truck with a V8 is getting comperable milage to your average V6 car weighting in at 2 tons. IDK, the math just doesnt add up. More cyclinders more weight larger wind surface but equal mileage to a smaller engine, smaller windsurface and lighter vehicle.
    Mine shuts off 4 cylinders like the Chevy you mentioned under light loads. Ford has changed more than just the engine, they went from a 4 speed automatic to the 6 speed which saved fuel before the new engines came out, also the new innovations such as electric power steering and electric water pumps decreased engine load saving fuel. And yeah it's alot more flat down here tha. It is where you live.

I drove through the Texas hill country last week and at 50-60 mph I only got around 17 mpg due to all the ups and downs. The manufacturers mileage numbers are best case scenario meaning everything is ideal for optimal fuel mileage

David

As lots of you have mentioned, there are so many contributing factors. Speed, load, ac,on/off level road ,wind at your back , i did forget we are at pretty high elevation 3500ft so we lose power due to altitude as well. not quite as bad as Colorado? but close enough. I notice quite a difference when we go on holidays to places at lower elevations,with my boat so obviously truck is gonna do the same.

I guess in a perfect world , i'd get 25mpg but for now i will quit complaining and enjoy my ECOBOOST. As for hemi,s getting 20 i find that one a little hard to believe and as for cylinder deactivation again i call BS. Think about it .... How often do you really think they shut down? Under normal driving ? Thats next to never gonna happen. Maybe on a roller dyno with zero resistance under perfect conditions. Likely the same place Ford got there 25mpg number?
    07 Outback DD

I don't know guys, you all sound like you have it pretty good to me...
    I live at 7000 ft and my drive to work and driving during the day takes me from 9000 and up to 12000, depending in which house I'm working at.

MPGs are not ideal, obviously, and I paid $4.60 per gallon today. At 35 gallons, that adds up. I do about one tank a week.

As I see it, you all get killer MPGs!!!
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    As lots of you have mentioned, there are so many contributing factors. Speed, load, ac,on/off level road ,wind at your back , i did forget we are at pretty high elevation 3500ft so we lose power due to altitude as well. not quite as bad as Colorado? but close enough. I notice quite a difference when we go on holidays to places at lower elevations,with my boat so obviously truck is gonna do the same.

I guess in a perfect world , i'd get 25mpg but for now i will quit complaining and enjoy my ECOBOOST. As for hemi,s getting 20 i find that one a little hard to believe and as for cylinder deactivation again i call BS. Think about it .... How often do you really think they shut down? Under normal driving ? Thats next to never gonna happen. Maybe on a roller dyno with zero resistance under perfect conditions. Likely the same place Ford got there 25mpg number?
    As far as the 4 cylinder shut off at 70 mph it only does it on the down side of an over pass. At 60-65 mile per hour is cycles back and forth spending probably 70% only the time in 8 cylinder mode. It tells you when it does it so you can keep track.

As far as 20 mpg at 60 mph, my computer in the truck claimed 22.4 but I have hand calculated it out before and it lies by about 2 mpg pretty consistently so I just took it off the top and said 20. I didn't hand calculate it tho.

David