Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Oh man... sooooo much info here. I for sure want to keep it as simple as possible. All I have at this point are the batteries.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

If you go add a battery, search it on eBay, $110.50 shipped, that was the cheapest I could find when I got mine.
    -Jake

Ahhh... so the Blue Seas is an on / off set up and the relay controls which battery is in use? Sorry, you guys have to hit me over the head with this stuff. My buddy across the street has no relay, just the perko switch and (2) batteries. I am liking the simplicity in the operation of the on / off only.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

On, off, and combine if your start battery ever dies. The ACR that comes with it is the automatic charging relay that determines what battery your alternator needs to charge. There's lots of options but for $110 have a nice set up that is easy to install.
    -Jake

This gives you one battery for your engine, and one for accessories like your stereo.
    -Jake

I just want to clarify something in regards to the operation of the ACR. The Blue Sea 7610 ACR does not sense which battery needs charging and distribute to one or the other based on each batteries voltage per say. When the switch is in the on position, terminal A of the ACR is connected to the main cranking bank, and terminal B of the ACR is connected to the house battery bank. The main alternator cable is also connected to the main cranking bank. When voltage is high, indicating the alternator is charging, the relay closes and combines the two battery banks. Now both batteries are receiving a charge from the alternator. When the voltage is low, indicating a heavy load on on terminal B or the engine is off, the relay opens and isolates the main cranking battery from the house bank. This prevent any load drawing on the house bank from drawing on the main cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I just want to clarify something in regards to the operation of the ACR. The Blue Sea 7610 ACR does not sense which battery needs charging and distribute to one or the other based on each batteries voltage per say. When the switch is in the on position, terminal A of the ACR is connected to the main cranking bank, and terminal B of the ACR is connected to the house battery bank. The main alternator cable is also connected to the main cranking bank. When voltage is high, indicating the alternator is charging, the relay closes and combines the two battery banks. Now both batteries are receiving a charge from the alternator. When the voltage is low, indicating a heavy load on on terminal B or the engine is off, the relay opens and isolates the main cranking battery from the house bank. This prevent any load drawing on the house bank from drawing on the main cranking.
    Thats interesting.

In theory this means if you stop and party cove it, drain the 2nd battery playing your tunes. Then you start your boat up and the ACR senses voltage and charged the starting battery, it would combine both batteries to charge.

This would then actually drain your starting battery because they would all equalize.

If you then stoped to party cove it again and drained your stereo battery dead.

Restarted the boat you would essentiually equalize again and possible kill both batteries.

I cant recall what kind was in my boat but it would sense voltage and switch to the stereo bank, at no point would it add both banks as 1 unit. It was eighter charging the house battery or my stereo batteries.

Only when i switched it to Combine or hit opened the 2 circuit breakers did it combine all the batteries.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike,

I'm pretty sure you had the Blue Sea ACR also if its the one that I picked up for you at Active. MLA is correct about how it operates. Also, it has an undervoltage protection scheme that will prevent the ACR from combining the batteries if one battery is below a certain voltage to prevent exactly the scenario that you describe.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Mike,

I'm pretty sure you had the Blue Sea ACR also if its the one that I picked up for you at Active. MLA is correct about how it operates. Also, it has an undervoltage protection scheme that will prevent the ACR from combining the batteries if one battery is below a certain voltage to prevent exactly the scenario that you describe.
    Correct Al on what i have i was simply trying to understand the theory of what would happen in the description but it looks like you cleared it up with the Undervoltage protection you mentioned.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike,

In theory, yes, if the house bank is heavily depleted, the main cranking would try to equalize with the low house bank. But, the low voltage setting on the ACR will quickly be reached and the ACR will again open and isolate the banks. This bouncing/cycling will continue until the house bank reaches a level of charge to where the ACR stays combined.

So in actuality, the ACR will not combine a full battery and dead battery and stay combined, thus allowing the full battery to equalize with the dead. When the house bank is heavily depleted, rotating the switch to combine will circumvent the ACR, allowing the house bank to receive and steady charge from the alternator and getting back up as fast as possible. As long as the engine is running, equalizing will not be an issue, so if you stop again, switch off of COMBINE.