Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballast vents

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Ron,

Simple install. I cut the vent lines a few inches from the thru hull in a spot where it would be close to, and held out of the way, by a zip tie. Cut the line, slip on 2 hose clamps on each hose end, twist the hose ends on the check valve and position & tighten the clamps.

Enjoy a beverage, or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What drew said, easy mod except for the center vent when you are reaching over the sub.

I'd be hard pressed to get rid of the check valves. Do the bags pop the hatch b/c they are ballooned with air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nope , I think there are just too full of water.. Not air.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

found something out this weekend after finally getting to use my new ballast system, I added one way valves to all three vents. rear bag sucked down like a vacum bag--awesome results. IBS bag did the same.

this is where it gets interesting.

I got home and got the boat wiped down and stowed into the garage, all was nice and quite and I swear I could hear the boat burbing, locate source of burbs to the IBS bag that is piggybacked off the center tank, undid the quick disconects from the IBS and heard a long vacum of air entering the center tank, I then hit the center empty button, about 5 minuts later and the center tank was empty and the garage floor was getting a nice lake water rinse down. May have to remove the oneway vent or get creative allowing air to enter the tank as Im thinking a tank needs to vent to empty. Think I may add the directional valve and once the IBS is flat switch it so the tank can vent freely.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Nope , I think there are just too full of water.
    then it sounds like you are right at max fullness
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

you should be able to "Wye" the center hard tank after the CV from the IBS and that may fix it . May not suck the IBS flat after it empties into the hard tank and the air lock will realease when the water gets low enough.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    found something out this weekend after finally getting to use my new ballast system, I added one way valves to all three vents. rear bag sucked down like a vacum bag--awesome results. IBS bag did the same.

I got home and got the boat wiped down and stowed into the garage, all was nice and quite and I swear I could hear the boat burbing, locate source of burbs to the IBS bag that is piggybacked off the center tank, undid the quick disconects from the IBS and heard a long vacum of air entering the center tank, I then hit the center empty button, about 5 minuts later and the center tank was empty and the garage floor was getting a nice lake water rinse down. May have to remove the oneway vent or get creative allowing air to enter the tank as Im thinking a tank needs to vent to empty. Think I may add the directional valve and once the IBS is flat switch it so the tank can vent freely.
    The check/valve in the piggy-backed sac's vent line is causing the hard tank to tin-can as it drains. The tank needs to have a free flowing vent line so it vents in both the fill and drain cycle.

Did you use the wakemakers one ways or something from a hardware store? The wakemakers that i got(not the ones in the picture on there website) dont truelly create a oneway valve. They do allow a bit of air thru. I thought they called them a low volume restrictor or something. I got a y diverter on my ibs and center sac each bag has its on oneway. No problemo.

maybe it's an issue that arises with a hard tank vs bag?

I'm heading to the lake on Wed to see if I have any water in the tank.

maybe it's an issue that arises with a hard tank vs bag?

I'm heading to the lake on Wed to see if I have any water in the tank.
    Id have to agree its prolly a hard tank issue, think about how the pump works, its sucking water out, creating a vacume, and as the water drains in a soft bag it collapses. In a hard tank it wont do that but instead it will try to suck in the sides.

This also depends on the type of material and thickness of the hard tank. It might be a thin soft plastic and your doing more harm with no vent on it.

I cant say for sure though, i have delt with the new hard center tanks Moomba is using, i will try to learn a little more about them to share but i would be leary on messing with the factory hard tank system unless you really understand everything they did for it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Moombadaze,

You need to add a spring loaded check valve and a tee in the hose between the hard tank and the IBS. The flow direction of the check valve would have to face the tee. There is no need to attach a hose to the other side of the valve, it is only used to bring air into the hard tank. Once the IBS is sucked flat, the vacuum pressure will cause the check valve to open and allow air to enter the hard tank, and allow all the water to be drained out. Leave the oneway vent where it is, and don't bother adding a directional valve. This way it will be fully automatic.

Note: It must be a spring loaded check valve.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    Moombadaze,

You need to add a spring loaded check valve and a tee in the hose between the hard tank and the IBS. The flow direction of the check valve would have to face the tee. There is no need to attach a hose to the other side of the valve, it is only used to bring air into the hard tank. Once the IBS is sucked flat, the vacuum pressure will cause the check valve to open and allow air to enter the hard tank, and allow all the water to be drained out. Leave the oneway vent where it is, and don't bother adding a directional valve. This way it will be fully automatic.

Note: It must be a spring loaded check valve.

Thanks Joe,

Drew and I have been unable to wrap our brains around this to make it fully automated. Neither of us wants to deal with valves or anything manuall. Perfect written discription, as im fully able to "See" this.

Just got a tee fitting from wakemakers 2 days ago and I think I have one of these spring loaded check valves at home from trying to mod the 08's system, now I cant wait to get home and rummage thru the ballast parts drawer.

Ballast mod session tonight--gotta be at least a 3 beer/3 pizza slices job.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold