Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Upgrading sound system - suggestions?

My 06 Mobius has stock Kenwood speakers, no tower speakers, no sub, and a terrible Kenwood radio with no aux input. Time for upgrade. What Tower Speakers are good quality and look badass, what do you guys have on your boats?! Also need suggestions/opinions on a Subwoofer, amp and radio unit to completely replace that crappy Kenwood. Keeping stock speakers. Just want Towers, sub, amp, radio. Trying to do this without breaking the bank. Thanks
    2006 Mobius LS
    Liquid Force Harley, Liquid Force Watson

You can search threads for tons of pics. There are even a couple tower pic specific threads.

First goal is to establish a budget, that should guide the recommendations. Could range anywhere from 500 to 5000.
    Also,

Are 4+ tower speakers a priority?
    Do you want wakeboard range sound?
    Do you plan to do your own install?
    Looking for heavy bass or more moderate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Do you have a model number for the Kenwood?

My 06 Kenwood has a cd changer input that can use other adapters (apple data port, rca, usb?, etc.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Budget is going to try to stay under $1500.

Priority: 4 Tower Speakers, Wakeboard range (will probably self install with general car audio knowledge) and i dont need a ridiculous bass. Just a 10" sub that will vibrate you, not bump your eardrums out.

I dont know the # i will have to look. The kenwood has a CD port for 1, and no aux input. and hardly works
    2006 Mobius LS

Here's you a new sub cheaper than you can get it elsewhere...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=19358
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Carson,
    As mentioned above if your Kenwood HU has a changer DIN (multi-pin) input then this is easily converted to a universal Aux input.
    All HU power sounds anemic in the context of an open boat, especially when you begin to move. This will be remedied with external amplifiers. Keep in mind that the 4 times 45 watts is grossly over-stated by every HU manufacturer.
    Your existing HU will not last indefinitely but it would be nice to maintain it for a while to free up more budget to improve what you don't have and allow you to step up to a little higher quality. The real expense comes in doing it twice versus doing it right the first time.
    Thinking ahead, you will certainly want the convenience of dual zone (tower to in-boat) controls at the driver's helm. Any inexpensive solution (like a Kicker 4-channel zone control/line driver for example) will automatically step up the voltage and make the existing HU preout appear more robust. In this case, if you are mostly using an ipod as your music source, this reduces your HU to not much more than a volume control.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Carson,
    Thinking ahead, you will certainly want the convenience of dual zone (tower to in-boat) controls at the driver's helm. Any inexpensive solution (like a Kicker 4-channel zone control/line driver for example) will automatically step up the voltage and make the existing HU preout appear more robust. In this case, if you are mostly using an ipod as your music source, this reduces your HU to not much more than a volume control.

David
    Earmark Marine
    good advise right there, that dual zone controller is very nice to have, you dont always want to be blasting the towers but may want some inboat tunes or the other way around.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The best advice I've ever seen on here is to upgrade in zones based on what you want and your budget. Most of what you hear comes from your in boat speakers. Get that part right, get the right amp(s) for it and make it where you can add on to your system. Your stock Kenwood in boat speakers probably should be replaced first. Lots of guys like the Polk DB series for what you get for the money. The next best advice is don't just put car door speakers in cans on the tower because they fit in them. You can't hear them at the end of the line anyway. Get the right stuff from Exile, Wetsounds, etc. or don't bother with the tower till you can do it right.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Im definitely replacing the Kenwood HU b/c it will turn off randomly and only works half of the time i take my boat out. Is replacing in-boat speakers a necessity? I want to know the cheapest way to this with good quality. Id prefer anything over Kenwood based on expirience with them. Ipod would be the only source i plan on using
    2006 Mobius LS

Hands down best bang for the buck is the Polk DB651. Theres a PILE of people on this forum who have or have had (including myself) these speakers. You can find them on sale multiple times during the year for $100 for 4 speakers. Theyre on sonic electronix for $70 a pair right now (see link below). I had mine powered by an MBQuart 600.6 amp, which was the cheapest 6 channel marine amp I could find. So I think all in all I had about $400 in my 6 cabin speakers with amp and all the necessary wiring. For your boat the KMR440U is a drop in receiver that is also widely had by many on this site. I literally unplugged my stock head unit, which was garbage, and plugged this one right in. Took all of 5 minutes. You dont even have to change the wiring harness out as long as you have the kenwood receiver already in your boat from the factory. It has the aux inputs you desire, and will plug and play with the stock remotes at the helm and on the transom (if you have one on your transom). If you can get a sub and a build yourself a box, youll easily be able to do this with an amp for under $400. I have a sub for sale thats $100, box building material for about $80, and wiring plus amp all day long for $300. Not trying to sell my stuff, Im just trying to show you how to do this on a budget because I did my whole boat (05 LSV) minus the tower speakers, for like $600. If your budget is $1500, that leaves you $800 to spend on your tower. Might be stretching it, but those deals do exist. Here are some links to get you started....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FQJx4AodxlIARA
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-Quart-NAU...item4608487da3
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-KMR-...item2314af8a49
    Last edited by lewisb13; 10-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD