Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Upgrading sound system - suggestions?

My 06 Mobius has stock Kenwood speakers, no tower speakers, no sub, and a terrible Kenwood radio with no aux input. Time for upgrade. What Tower Speakers are good quality and look badass, what do you guys have on your boats?! Also need suggestions/opinions on a Subwoofer, amp and radio unit to completely replace that crappy Kenwood. Keeping stock speakers. Just want Towers, sub, amp, radio. Trying to do this without breaking the bank. Thanks
    2006 Mobius LS
    Liquid Force Harley, Liquid Force Watson

You can search threads for tons of pics. There are even a couple tower pic specific threads.

First goal is to establish a budget, that should guide the recommendations. Could range anywhere from 500 to 5000.
    Also,

Are 4+ tower speakers a priority?
    Do you want wakeboard range sound?
    Do you plan to do your own install?
    Looking for heavy bass or more moderate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Budget is going to try to stay under $1500.

Priority: 4 Tower Speakers, Wakeboard range (will probably self install with general car audio knowledge) and i dont need a ridiculous bass. Just a 10" sub that will vibrate you, not bump your eardrums out.

I dont know the # i will have to look. The kenwood has a CD port for 1, and no aux input. and hardly works
    2006 Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonDean View Post
    Budget is going to try to stay under $1500.

Priority: 4 Tower Speakers, Wakeboard range (will probably self install with general car audio knowledge) and i dont need a ridiculous bass. Just a 10" sub that will vibrate you, not bump your eardrums out.

I dont know the # i will have to look. The kenwood has a CD port for 1, and no aux input. and hardly works
    Dean,

If you are looking for audible music at wake-board range, then traditional coax speakers like the Polk DB are not going to get it done. They will not handle the power required to achieve this. You need to consider larger hi-power handling coax or an HLCD (horn loaded compression driver) type speaker. If you have a 4-pod setup currently, the Kicker KM6500.2 Component HLCDs can be a direct replacement. If you do not have pods, these can be purchased with Kicker pods so you can still have that 4-pod setup you are interested in.

Yes, I agree. The Polk dB651s are fine for a value proposition in the boat. But it is a short term solution for the tower as two pair will reach wake range but are definitely being over-driven to do so. One pair of HLCDs or one pair of 8-inch true tower speakers are much stronger.

David

DIY Wake has kicker speakers for reasonable prices.
    2006 Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonDean View Post
    DIY Wake has kicker speakers for reasonable prices.
    Go Polk they sound better IMHO for the cabin speakers. Best bang for the buck and sound great.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5...rds=polk+db651
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Do you have a model number for the Kenwood?

My 06 Kenwood has a cd changer input that can use other adapters (apple data port, rca, usb?, etc.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Here's you a new sub cheaper than you can get it elsewhere...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=19358
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Carson,
    As mentioned above if your Kenwood HU has a changer DIN (multi-pin) input then this is easily converted to a universal Aux input.
    All HU power sounds anemic in the context of an open boat, especially when you begin to move. This will be remedied with external amplifiers. Keep in mind that the 4 times 45 watts is grossly over-stated by every HU manufacturer.
    Your existing HU will not last indefinitely but it would be nice to maintain it for a while to free up more budget to improve what you don't have and allow you to step up to a little higher quality. The real expense comes in doing it twice versus doing it right the first time.
    Thinking ahead, you will certainly want the convenience of dual zone (tower to in-boat) controls at the driver's helm. Any inexpensive solution (like a Kicker 4-channel zone control/line driver for example) will automatically step up the voltage and make the existing HU preout appear more robust. In this case, if you are mostly using an ipod as your music source, this reduces your HU to not much more than a volume control.

David
    Earmark Marine