Default Climate Control Winterization Question?

Quick question for you guys. Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?

Quote Originally Posted by EBRMOOMBA View Post
    Quick question for you guys. Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?
    What happens when the power is out?? ..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Does your boat still need winterized if your putting it in a climate controlled storage unit?

Yes. Need to change oil and filter, as well as add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, regardless of the environment in which it is stored for winter/off season.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Like Stuart said you need to do a few things, oils, fuel stabilizer. I would also do two more things. Pull the two plugs on the engine and if you have a heater or shower blow out the lines going too them. If the power goes out two plugs and two hoses(If you have a heater or shower) are simple insurance. The heater and shower will crack before the engine block does.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I would also pull the impeller. Leaving it in one position for a long time will distort it and I believe shortens overall lifespan of it.

Since you have to do so many other things, draining the water it easy.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thanks guys. I already did everything suggested, just wasn't sure if it was necessary to run anti-freeze and fog the engine and all that stuff.

And Parrothd, to your point, the boat will be in an underground mine in a climate controlled section of it, so if the power goes out the temp still stays at 55 degrees.

Antifreeze is not a must if the water is drained.

I would fog the engine though to prevent internal corrosion. If you have a catalyzed engine you will need to pull each spark plug, squirt in some fogging oil, turn the engine over a a couple of seconds and reinstall the spark plugs. This is a good time to check the gap on the old plugs or replace with new plugs in the spring after initial startup allowing the fogging oil to burn off with the old plugs installed still.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

So basically, still winterize it to protect the motor and to have peace if mind.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Thanks guys. I already did everything suggested, just wasn't sure if it was necessary to run anti-freeze and fog the engine and all that stuff.

And Parrothd, to your point, the boat will be in an underground mine in a climate controlled section of it, so if the power goes out the temp still stays at 55 degrees.
    Just making sure...
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead