Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Cracking

Default Vinyl Cracking

So I bought my boat used from an auction hunter type guy who said he picked it up at a repo auction. It had Arizona stickers on it originally so I assume the original owners let it sit out side and bake in the AZ sun.

I have had some vinyl tears/breaks but this weekend took it to a whole new level gaining multiple be breaks in a number of different cushions. I 303 the seats everytime we take it out but I guess the damage was already done and there is no reversing it?? My seats are falling apart

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Ouch. That stinks and I hate to say that you're probably right in that the damage is done. Never know what the prior owner may have used to clean the seats, if it was covered, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No way the 303 caused the damage?

sent via a wireless network which usually sucks
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Is it cracking on the textured part of the vinyl? That part cracked bad on the v-drive seat and was starting to on a few other seats when we traded in our 08. The smoother vinyl always seemed to hold up well though.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I seriously doubt 303 caused this. This 303 is a UV protectant, not a seat moisturizer. If the seats were already dry and damaged when Dave got the boat the 303 won't really help or hurt them.

303 is to be used after cleaning the seats with conditioners that might or don't have UV protectant in them.

Only thing Dave could have done to save the seats is add oils and conditioning products but even that might not have helped if the seats were that fare gone when he got it.

Looks like you might be in the market for a new interior Dave.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Brandon, both smooth and textured parts are cracks, it's not very discriminatory. The vdrive cover seat however is holding up very well and it probably one of the softest in the boat. The two worst ones are the very rear starboard and port seats that go on either side of the vdrive bench seat. Also had the grey part on the storage lockers crack. It even made a very audible cracking/popping sound when it happened

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Sorry about the vinyl cracking.

i have a similar problem. our last ride of 2010 was thanksgiving day. it was kind of cold (28?) water started freezing on the cushions when we were getting in and out. we could not stand on the swim platform cuz it was in the water and that was cold. well the back of the engine cover cracked up really bad. i thought it was the frozen water and was really bummed. i planned to replace it in the spring, but never did. after we rode a bit more in 2011, more cracks and tears started showing up on other places. i think now we have a crack or tear in almost every piece of vinyl cushion, bow to stern.

i am certainly not the best in cleaning up, etc after a day, but im not negligent either. the boat is stored inside my garage always. has only been outside when in use, maybe a day or two in the beginning at the dealer for warranty issues.

so i don't really think the cracking is from the cold. i think it is poor material. oh well. a whole new interior will have to happen, but for now i have to yell at kids not to pick at the holes in the vinyl and keep it from getting worse.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

David, same seats cracked on my 08. the two rear-most seats on port and starboard, as well as the textured part of the v-drive rear seat. The vinyl on the rear side seats was noticeably harder than all of my other seats. I'm assuming a bad batch of vinyl or something. Very different than all of my other seats.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Sucks David. Seems like they just hit the point of no return.

Last summer basically all of a sudden my cabin cushions seemed to all start cracking around the edges - basically all at once within a a week or so. Hit the expiration date?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I've had this happen too, though I am the second owner so I have no idea what was done cleaning wise before we got it. I have replaced several skins so far because of cracking, and I've got several more coming this year. There were and still are some of the vinyls that are noticably harder than others, like either a crappy batch of vinyl or poor cleaning techniques by the previous owner. All of the ones I've replaced to date have been the hard, crusty vinyl. Once it gets to that point, whether age, cleaning, or exposure, I haven't found anything that brings it back.

Luckily, they have deteriorated to cracking slowly, so I have been able to do a few per year. I'd hate to have to re-do the entire interior. Though, then you could get super creative and uniquie with patterns and colors and whatnot. So that could be fun, though fun usually involves lots of money...
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.