Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steering cable replaced: what caulking for floor?

First post for me here; hello everyone

First, a big thank you to all on the forum; I was able to replace my steering cable in my new-to-me Moomba because of the procedures and pictures posted in this forum.

This is a Moomba Mobius LSV 2005.

In the process of replacing the cable, I pulled up the floor. To get the floor out, I had to remove the layer of caulking around the edge of the floor. So, now that I'm putting the floor back in, is there a recommended product that I can use to recaulk/reseal the edges of the floor, where the floor meets the seats? What I pulled out was very rubbery in consistency and very hard to get out. But I'm not good with types of sealant/caulks, so I don't know what to buy in order to get this done.

Thanks all!

Not familiar with that model, but isn't the water supposed to drain down into the bilge. I'm not sure what sealing it would accomplish.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Aesthetics is all I can think of. His boat has snap out carpet so the the edges of the floor are visible

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv

Only thing i can think of is clear marine silicon sealant. This is very rubbery when dry, clear to the eye, and it might be there to help keep rattles and such down.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Well, I was just going to seal it because it was already sealed, and I was the one that tore it up. There is another black seal that runs around the edge of the flooring (I can take pics and post later) that looks like it is supposed to keep water from passing around the edges of the floor, but that has also deteriorated over time.

I woudn't think it would be OK to just leave it open and hope that water ends up in the bilge; there are no channels for the water to flow. It would just pool under the parts of the floor that is around the perimeter (i.e. not where the gas tank is). It also would tend to get under the under-seat carpet. I'd rather keep the drippings up top where I can wipe them out and dry them. I'm sure some water would make its way to the bilge, but there will be wetness in other areas all the time.

From what I can gather, it looks like I'll go with just white silicone sealant.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

The deed is done. I'm the most horrible caulker in the world. :O
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Oh, no. You have to aspire to that title. My Dad is the worst caulker in the world, hands down. He once-- with all great intentions -- decided to caulk the entire air return in my house AC. My wife found him after several hours and unstuck him. He then wanted to wash his clothes in her new front loader washer. She took him out an bought him some new jeans and a new shirt and banished the clothes he was wearing to the black trash bag in the garage. So, you can aspire to be the worst caulker in the world, but you can't match the "Grandpa Billy got stuck in the air return" day. Hope you got 'er licked though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sorry, yeah, I can't top that!
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

OK, here are the floor pics. Not really that much to see, just that fact might be useful to someone...

I'll never quite understand why Moomba wire-tied the steering cable to the rest of the bundle. If that had not been the case, the floor wouldn't have needed to come off. I routed the new cable a bit to the side of the bundle and left it loose, so that if I ever need to do this again, the floor doesn't need to go.

P1000730 (Medium).jpgP1000731 (Medium).jpgP1000732 (Medium).jpgP1000733 (Medium).jpgP1000734 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by dhyams; 09-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Oh, no. You have to aspire to that title. My Dad is the worst caulker in the world, hands down. He once-- with all great intentions -- decided to caulk the entire air return in my house AC. My wife found him after several hours and unstuck him. He then wanted to wash his clothes in her new front loader washer. She took him out an bought him some new jeans and a new shirt and banished the clothes he was wearing to the black trash bag in the garage. So, you can aspire to be the worst caulker in the world, but you can't match the "Grandpa Billy got stuck in the air return" day. Hope you got 'er licked though.
    That's some good times right there!
    -Jake