Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Yet another weighting question

I plumbed in IBS; when you are wakesurfing, are you supposed to fill just one of the two front bags, or both?

The other day, I filled the middle bag all the way, the front two as much as I could before the seat cushions popped, and the right corner bag all the way. I still couldn't find any sweet spot (first time surfer), but my kids seemed to be able to find it briefly anyway, with me sitting on the right corner too. Unfortunately there was no one sitting on the corner for me while I surfed...
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Re: Yet another weighting question

What boat do you have? I can't really tell from your avatar. Anyways most will tell you that you need more weight in the rear than you are currently running. The weigh in the nose (along with speed) controls how LONG the pocket is. If you make the pocket too long, which it sounds like is the problem, then you won't have any "push" and it will feel like there's never a sweet spot. At a bare minimum you should have 750lbs either in the surf side locker or some combination of bags between the locker and on the seats or under the seats. This is just a starting point, many will chime in here and of course everyone's boat is different when it comes to water conditions, # of people on the boat, speed, wake plate position, etc
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Also, do you have a wakeplate? Try putting it all the way up and adjust down from there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

lewisb: I have a Moomba Mobius 2005 LSV, which from what I understand is the same hull as the current Outback V.

Current ballast configuration is:
    750's in the back lockers
    580 in the ski locker (center)
    400's under the port/starboard front seats

So when we were surfing we had:
    the left corner locker full (750)
    the center bag full (580)
    the front two bags partially full (probably 400 lbs between them).

I kind of forgot about even having a wake plate ; I'll remember to mess with that next time; I don't remember how it was set when we were surfing. And there were only 4 small kids and my wife in the boat, so not a lot of weight there.

It sounds like you guys are right in saying that the pocket was too long...I pretty systematically searched all over the place for the sweet spot, and never found any spot that would let me drop the rope. I also tried to put a fair amount of my weight forward on the surfboard too, thinking that that should help me go faster forward.

The board used is an inland surfer squirt, and I'm 210 lbs. My two boys (weigh about 120 lbs each) were able to find somewhat of a sweet spot, but they also had the advantage that my 210 lbs was sitting on the backmost right corner of the boat (meaning not in the seats but actually on the corner), so that probably helped the wave a bit.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

I would ditch the nose weight and put your wake plate all the way up. Once you get a good pocket then start adding nose weight until you get the wave you want. What speed are you running at?
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Speed: 10.5 mph, maybe 11.5 for me...told the wife to speed up a little and I think she did...
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

You have cruise control right? My 05lsv did not
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Start at 9.5 to 10 with the plate all the way up and go from there. I think you found your problem.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    lewisb: I have a Moomba Mobius 2005 LSV, which from what I understand is the same hull as the current Outback V.
    2005 LSV is the same hull as the 2006-2008 OBV, not the current one. I owned that boat and you're almost there as kane pointed out. Get the wakeplate 3/4 to full up, nose full, center full and surf side full. Our boat liked between 9.8 and 10.2 mph. We run a crew of myself, wife & 3 kids under 13.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    2005 LSV is the same hull as the 2006-2008 OBV, not the current one. I owned that boat and you're almost there as kane pointed out. Get the wakeplate 3/4 to full up, nose full, center full and surf side full. Our boat liked between 9.8 and 10.2 mph. We run a crew of myself, wife & 3 kids under 13.
    Yep and moving one person around can change the wave dramatically...Best to get everyone in their spots and test the wave, we usually drop one in the water and then test. Water depth almost makes a big difference, deeper is better..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead