Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

Hybrid View

Default Oil Change

Getting ready to winterize. What are the risks if I do not change the oil and filter? I do this at the end of each season. This one, however, the boat was on the water twice for a total of six hours. Normal use with skiers and tubers. I am fine changing the oil and filter if there is a benefit to the engine. On the other hand, if it's just a waste of time and money because of the low hours, I will skip. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks, guys. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I dont see any harm in waiting. Just let her run before you change her in the spring to suspend all the junk.

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    I dont see any harm in waiting. Just let her run before you change her in the spring to suspend all the junk.
    Im of a slightly different thought. I also dont always change my oil at the end of the season. Sometimes i wait till the new season but i dont restart the engine. I dont want all that nasty dirty oil thats been sitting for all winter to cycle threw my engine.

Different thoughts but honestly i dont think it matters that much.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Here is someone elses take on oil changes at end or start o the season.

"It is better to change the oil and transmission fluid at the end of the season, prior to storage. Lubricants naturally accumulate moisture, combustion by-products, and other contaminants during use. It can be detrimental to store an engine or drive with large amounts of these contaminants present."

I still think it doesnt matter. Oif i have the time i change it at the end, if to busy i change next year

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Im of a slightly different thought. I also dont always change my oil at the end of the season. Sometimes i wait till the new season but i dont restart the engine. I dont want all that nasty dirty oil thats been sitting for all winter to cycle threw my engine.

Different thoughts but honestly i dont think it matters that much.
    Here is the reasoning i use for running the motor

"Before you begin an oil change, the engine should be hot. Warm oil is easier to suck through a rubber hose or brass straw, but the reason for running the engine is more essential than that. You are changing the oil because it is contaminated with abrasive and chemical impurities. But the dirt in oil is just like dirt in water; leave it undisturbed and it settles to the bottom. Suck out the cold oil and much of the dirt stays behind, immediately contaminating the fresh oil and defeating the whole purpose of the oil change. Run the engine to get all of the contaminants in suspension so they come out with the oil."

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    Here is the reasoning i use for running the motor

"Before you begin an oil change, the engine should be hot. Warm oil is easier to suck through a rubber hose or brass straw, but the reason for running the engine is more essential than that. You are changing the oil because it is contaminated with abrasive and chemical impurities. But the dirt in oil is just like dirt in water; leave it undisturbed and it settles to the bottom. Suck out the cold oil and much of the dirt stays behind, immediately contaminating the fresh oil and defeating the whole purpose of the oil change. Run the engine to get all of the contaminants in suspension so they come out with the oil."
    I understand your thoughts here.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

How's this for super anal. I change every 30 hours, and also at the end AND beginning of each season. I run the engine before all changes to make it easier to evac. I change V-drive and tranny every 50, but again at beginning AND end of season. To me, it's extremely cheap insurance. Even if the benefit is marginal, it doesn't cost that much....my $.02

The guy who bought my LSV asked "why do you do that when you only keep the boat for a couple years". My answer was that I always intend to keep my stuff forever....it just rarely happens.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Yes to "b" if you attempt "a"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A) you can pull the hose and rain into a pan. It is really slow to let it drain on it's own.

B) can't think of any problem with changing oil on the water.

I pull the hose through the bilge
    plug hole and use a hand pump to pump the oil out. This way I don't accidentally spill the old oil in the boat while I am getting out.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Yes to "b" if you attempt "a"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    <<<<<like>>>>>
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there