Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ok guys. So sorry it has taken me so long to post an update/pics. I have been working on the boat a lot and somehow always seem to forget about documenting things. Good news is that I have learned why it went down in the first place. Last friday my Dad and I took the boat to lake lanier and put while on the trailer. The leak was so incredibly obvious. The prop shaft packing nut was leaking about 1 gallon every 2 to 3 minutes. This made total sense because like I said in an earlier post, the back carpet was a tinge more damp the usual. This leak was directly under the floorboard of the back carpet. Anyway on saturday we went to West Marine and pick up some 1/4 inch gortex packing rope. We fit 3 pieces in and re-tightened the pack nut. We went to put it back in the water and adjusted the tightness to allow for a drop every 30 seconds or so. At this point I got really nervous. It was on the trailer with no leaks I could find idling perfectly. I knew it was time to take her out and see how everything felt/performed. For the most part I was incredibly pleased. The idle was very good. Transmission shifted perfectly, temperature was good. We drove around for about 1 hour without any major issues. The only thing that I didn't like was a few times under full throttle as the boat was reaching full speed the power shut dropped off dramatically. As soon as I let off the throttle and gradually brought it back it would be fine. But it the power thing did happend 2 or 3 times. Anyway thats another topic for another day. It was all in all very exciting for me to bring it back to life and enjoy an hour on the lake with my dad. Here are some horrible pictures. I am going to take much better ones once I have it finished and detailed it. At this point all that is left to do is remake 2 seats that floated away when it sank. The back bench and side W bench. I have cut the bottom material as you can see in the pictures and just need to source out the proper foam and matching vinyl. The cause of the problem. Prop shaft packing nut underneath the sterns floorboard. Prop Shaft.jpgProp Shaft 2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the seats in the making W Seat.jpgBench Seat.jpg

Here are some of the ghosting I had to buff out once I removed the original lettersGhosting.jpg

nice job and congrats. bet it was a very good feeling to be on the lake again...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Second maiden voyageMaiden Voyage.jpgMaiden Voyage 2.jpg

New Steering WheelNew Steering Wheel.jpg

Powder Coated windshield being installed. Looks amazing. Want to do it to the tower at some point. Windshield.jpg

Beautiful Lake Rabun in Lakemont, GA where this boat will call its home. IMG_0315.jpg

Awesome man, so glad you could save her and put her back together again.

Thats a boat i dont think i could ever sell, due to the story behind it and its reserection from its watery death.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

She's a naked beauty! Well done sir... well done.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Awesome, nice update. I would think you may still have some water in the fuel causing your power problem. I would think that will go away after a tank or two, try some water remover when you fill up again.

If it were me, I would do another compression test and compare to the last one. If it hasn't changed, you probably will have no issues with another 500 hours on the engine.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Great advice Maxpower. I pumped what was originally in the tank out and let me tell you... it was bad. Dark brown full of water. After that I filled it up with about 6 gallons of fresh gas and added water remover treatment. Let it sit for a few days, gave the boat a good shaking on the trailer to try and agitate and sediment in there. I syphoned out those 6 gallons and they looked overall pretty good. When I had originally got the motor running in the driveway with a fake-a-lake we had bypassed the fuel tank and simply ran the fuel line into a nice fresh portable gallon of gas. On the way to the lake we connected the fuel line back to the tank and filled it up. Upon the initial start the motor ran awful. Black smoke, choking out, and barely idling. My thoughts are that it had to burn the reminisce of crappy fuel that was still in the lines out because after about 1 minute of that it was like a light switch and ran perfectly. You could just tell that it has gotten a taste of the new gas. So hopefully thats the end of my gas worries.

Nice job! So glad you could recover her from the watery depths. Here's to years of good boating!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hclymer4 View Post
    Powder Coated windshield being installed. Looks amazing. Want to do it to the tower at some point. Windshield.jpg
    Are my eyes playing tricks with me or are you missing part of the tower leg on the port side there?

Oh, and definitely nice restoration work!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...