Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2013 Supra SA 450 Review

My fellow Moomba / Supra brothers. I got to the spend the day in the official 1st SA off the line boat. It has a ton of new features this year, and i was mind boggled at all the attention to detail this boat really has. Theres tons of good things and a couple why did they do that thoughts but overall this boat is legit and is a real Game Changer for Supras line up. This boat is going to bring it to the next level.

Colors
    Britney Blue
    Black
    All new Charcole metal flake metalic

The boat is just MASSIVE to look at. You wouldnt think its only 22.6 from bow to stern. You also wouldnt think it was a 22.6 from sitting inside the boat. Supra was very smart and custoer minded when deciding what to do with the extra depth in the cabin. Some boat companies chose to add this depth to just the seating area making the seats feel very deep. Supra did add a couple inches there but they added more to the storage areas. From the floor to the bottom of the seats is 9 inches deep now and this makes for very large storage areas.

Sitting in the boat you never feel like you might fall out or take a side roller while surfing.

The floor has the snap out carpet, 3 kinds, the one i was in had the upgraded carpet and it was a recycled plastic material in a weave type pattern and looked for cool. The standard is carpet and then you have the push top upgrade Supra logo flooring.

Inside the rear of the boat is the hard tanks, these sit under a fiberglass flow that is removable, it also has removable inspection ports to look at the tanks. The floor is solid and designed to have more weight added. The SA had regular ballast bags in it to add to the hard tanks capacity.

In the bow it has an options U shapred IBS bag as well.

The power plant in this boat is UNREAL. I cant even imagine what the 550 can do because this 450 was a beast to behold, listen to and drive.

Right from the start you turn the key and this engine roars to life with authority reving up a little to let you know it means buisness. It has a very agressive growl at idle. Nothing like any SC engine i have herd yet. Drop it into gear and start to push that throttle a little and she really comes to life.

Hitting it hard to get on plane is litteraly like a 3 or 4 second task for this boat. It leaps up and moves accross the water and just as your smill cant get any bigger your doing 30+. I drove the boat and she toped out at 40 at 5500 rpm and it had the ACME wake prop.

Riding behind this boat and listening to the engine is a feat to behold. It growls at you the hole time letting you know its got all the power you will need. It has a poping and growling noise that took my senses over and the entire time i rode behind it i didnt care the stereo was off. I was happy listening to this engine.

Other features this boat has was the all new Supra touch screen Vision system. It was very user friendly and all you needed to do watch touch the screen to get more details such as fuel %, water temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, and ballast levels. You also have an array of switches to toggle and play with. This serves as the manuel functions for the boat. You have the option to hit the ballast switch or use the touch screen.

One cool feature Claudia really liked while driving the boat was the Power Heated Drivers Seat. At the touch of a switch the seat goes up and down so you can see better. It also has a heated option to warm the bum. The seat of course rotates, and adjusts front to back.

Behind the drivers seat is a compartment with a trashcan and space to keep a few items.

Boat has 2 options for coolers. 1 is the soft cooler that drops down into one of the storage compartments. Current LSV owners up to the 2012 model, this compartment is the same spot center observers side.

The one thing i saw that really made me thing what the hell is going on here. I lifted the rear center seat over the V drive and there sits a cooler. Its a drop in and is completly removable. No insulation just plastic and it sits right over the V drive. All the engines heat goes to this cooler location. I really hope that was just a test to see what people think because thats the worst place for a non insulated cooler i have seen. In the PNW you might as well toss the beer over the side in a fishing net and let the water keep it cold LOL.

Bow area. OMG this place is Ginourmous. It looks huge when you look in it but its nothing untill you get in it. 3 people my size can sit up there legs stretched and be comfortable. Or you can have 1/2 dozen ladies. <i prefer that option> You can lay accross it and take a nap if you like. It is just huge.

Riding in the boat with the ballast full, apx 2500lbs plus 8 people and the boat diesnt feel crowded, also the boats engine doesnt strain at all getting up on plane. When the guys wake boarded the boat didnt roll side to side as they loaded the line for there jumps. The boat was very stable feeling.

One of the surprising side effects of the nose on this boat. Even though its a pickle fork and these are pretty known to nose dive and take rollers. This one is no exception in taking a roller if you drop off plane really fast, especially with people and ballast in the nose. One thing i did notice and liked a lot is when you start to take a little water over the nose, the shape of the boat catches that water and directes it away from the people. Yes you still take some water over the nose but you dont scare the people or soak them as easy.

Lastly the boat sitting on the trailer it looks huge. Supra was very smart on there trailer situation and actually moved the boat up, or moved the trailer nose back, depends on how you look at it but the boat sitting on the trailer is still 22.6 feet long. Take swim deck off and fold the break a way tongue in and all your left with is the actual boat length. This was made possible because the winch and breakaway are actually under the nose of the boat when its on the trailer.

The swim deck has new brackets and pins to hold it in place, it is on a cantalevel system and works very well. I dont expect this one to rattle like the platforms of the past.

Lets look at the pics

The man who made this possible.
    Shane Stillman with Skiers Choice
    Greg Waters Supra / Moomba Sales with AWS Oregon / Washington <driving>

The First SA off the line. Heres the Vin to prove it

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Look at the front lines of this thing.

[COLOR="#696969"]

Optional Factory LED underwater lighting.
    Also the platform mounting.

All new Charcole Metal Flake Metalic
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The massive Bow

[COLOR="#696969"]

What people see when shes coming.

[COLOR="#696969"]

The cockpit

Optional Sub, its actually a fully enclosed fiberglass box

[COLOR="#696969"]

The glove box, stereo

It wasnt pretty when me and Claudia rode, it was 60 cloudy and water temp is 65. We trunked it and Claudia was told she is officially the first PNW Female to ride behind this boat LOL.

We have 3 videos ov her surfing if i can get them to upload.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

One of the guys who came out early.

[COLOR="#696969"]

Regular wave dialed in

Did a little wheel time
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Dam 15 minute timer on edits. Didnt get this section in.

I know the real question is what did i think of the boat, in it, driving it, and surfing it.

Overall i really loved this boat. Its put together well, rides really well, tons of power.

Wakeboarding comments from those guys. It ramps are solid, tall, easy and smooth launch and landings. The wave is Wide and its a real game changer to wake board boats. This boat is legit

Surfing, ive been skepticle the entire time as i know this isnt a Supra Surf style boat. Sciers Choice doesnt have a Surf boat and the really need to make one. Its to the point they are going to fall behind as the surf market is growing like weeds in your yard.

We filled the ballast up, apx 650 in the reat and roughly 900 in the nose for the goofy side. Awesome point to this boat, its so stable you can let people sit on the non surf side and it doesnt effect this boat as much. When you turn away from your surfing generaly you will flatten there wave and they fall out of the pocket. Not so with this boat.

Once we got the surf wave up and rolling <10.1 mph and wake plate 68% goofy> it looked really decent. Shorter then im used to seeing but good.

Claudia jumped in and was ready to test it out. Puller her up and she took some time getting used to the boat we started out at almost 11 and droped the speed to where she liked it and adjusted the plate and ended up with the above result.

Claudia was able to free rope the surf easily and this shows the boat is throwing a good wave. After her ride her comments were, " Its got Potential ". Honeslty this is a great thought because no way you will take a new boat of any kind and fill it then surf it and be happy, all boats require tweeking to get the wave the way you really like it.

Also she said it needs more length to the wave. She felt like she was closer to the boat then she is used to.
    Overall though she liked the boat and wouldnt be mad if it was in our garage.

When i surfed we did apx 10.4 wake plate 100% andi too was able to free rope it and i too felt like i was on the back of the boat more then i liked as well. I wasnt uncomfortable but wasnt impressed with the wave eigher. I was honestly thinking if i really sacked this boat out like i do mine then it could be a real contender.

Later in the day when we had 8 people on the boat i went again and it was worlds different. The wave was larger, longer and had a lot better push to it. I was much more impressed and this just solidified my thinking it just needs more weight.

I know if i had thsi boat for a weekend i could make a serious surf boat out of it. It wouldnt be as good as a Surf designed boat but i could do a lot with it.
    [COLOR="#696969"]