Default Sub box question

would this be a good box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-Sing...item4abc9696ac

it will be lifted up off the floor and tucked in so it should not get wet

Sub is Exile thats listed in my signature below

Thanks
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=custom

That would work just need to spraytruck bed liner , the interor and exterior(peel off the carpet)

does the new lsv have a false face also. i went the 1.1 inverted custom box route to save on space in the footwell.
    check out my thread as the hole is right in the middle of that sub space.

Daze pm me and i can get you the dimensions of my sealed custom enclosure.its back at the house for carpet and feet.

I have the same exile setup you do...
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Prefab Enclosures = S/P/O/N/G/E

Moombadaze -

I would not recommend a prefab sub enclosure for a few reasons. I'll keep this brief.

- Prefab boxes are made out of particle board. If they get wet, they turn into a sponge. Really!
    - Prefab boxes dont have any stand off feet to raise the enclousre off the floor area. This means you'll collect moisture and meldew pretty fast. Which leads to point #1
    - Prefab boxes like this are generally to big to fit in a helm area. Especially these big ole slot ported boxes

I would highly recomend you take your boat into a local shop and have them design you either a sealed enclosure (smoother response), or a vented enclosure (peaky response). Budget wise, you'd be in the neighborhood of 200+ for a nicely built sealed or 400+ for a vented bass reflex enclosure that is built correctly size wise and material wise for your boat.

or theres also the DIY route too. Nothing wrong with that. The woofer in your signature requires the following enclosure sizing:

Sealed 1.1 - 1.2 cu
    Vented 2.2 cu 4" vent diameter; 14" vent length

Armed with this information its a straightforward project depending on your acoustic goals.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

I would agree 100% with the statements above...

that mdf can be like a sponge especially in the humid air and on the water. you will spend more in cash sealing it than it would cost to get a shop to build one right the first time and to the exact specs that brian is listing..

too bad you are not local. I have 1/2 sheet of 3/4" medex leftover from my box..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I would agree 100% with the statements above...

that mdf can be like a sponge especially in the humid air and on the water. you will spend more in cash sealing it than it would cost to get a shop to build one right the first time and to the exact specs that brian is listing..

too bad you are not local. I have 1/2 sheet of 3/4" medex leftover from my box..
    Yes i agree with the mdf statemnt but i think a custom shop will charge more that 30.00 in spray bed liner. Mine certainly did and i paid 30.00 bucks for the glass resin i supplied.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Ship it up to Michigan, I'll build you a box
    2013 Outback V

It's a good idea to avoid a pre-fabbed enclosure for many of the reasons listed above. Also, there is no way a universal bass-reflex enclosure is going to sound good with all woofers. It's a crap shoot. And, pre-fabbed enclosures are generally tuned for a maximum peak so they give you more 'HIT!', 'SLAM!' and 'POUND!', as if all bass was a percussion instrument. But that is what delivers the most output and is perceived as an obvious value by many. Some want exactly that. So it really depends on what you expect. Or, a custom bass-reflex (ported) enclosure can sound incredibly musical and extremely smooth....but that will require a finer touch.

David