Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    You can buy your boat from any dealer you want. .
    As far as sc goes i am pretty sure this is inacurate. Some dealers respect the territorial rules they have been slapped with other dealers dont. So you are not going to be able to go anywhere. You will need to find a dealer that will overlook the territory issue

Quote Originally Posted by alw041 View Post
    Thanks for the info Mmandley. I definitely don't want it shipped to my local dealer. If I can find a reputable dealer in Dallas, Houston, or Austin I don't mind the commute for picking it up and annual servicing or warranty work. It would be much faster than letting my boat sit 20 minutes from my house for 4 months for work at my local dealer.
    Hit up Hunter at South Austin Marine. Great dude who will take care of ya. Check for waketoberfest coming up n October, on Lake Austin. Should be a great weekend
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    As far as sc goes i am pretty sure this is inacurate. Some dealers respect the territorial rules they have been slapped with other dealers dont. So you are not going to be able to go anywhere. You will need to find a dealer that will overlook the territory issue
    I was going to drive to TN to pick the boat up myself and they (factory + TN dealer) told me for a new boat I would have work out something where they would trade it to my local dealer and buy it through them- at additional markup and shipping cost of course. They tried to get the factory to classify it as a "used boat" since it was a holdover but that was a no go. Go figure the outback in question is still listed for sale. I'm guessing that since this dealer was close to the factory they probably play by the factory's rules- might be a much different story in Texas- the Texans I've met tend to call BS on something like that and just do what they want (love Texas!). In 2008 I had dealers tell me I just needed to come up with a zip code local to them and tell them that's where I lived.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Thanks for the info Mmandley. I definitely don't want it shipped to my local dealer. If I can find a reputable dealer in Dallas, Houston, or Austin I don't mind the commute for picking it up and annual servicing or warranty work. It would be much faster than letting my boat sit 20 minutes from my house for 4 months for work at my local dealer.
    C.hern and I both got our boats at rinkers boat world in Houston. Top notch place. They have a couple leftover outbacks there. Ask for chris rinker himself and tell him brad and chris sent you.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

I would recommend calling your state and the state you are looking to buy from and not taking the word of the internet world imo

that said, here's my experience.
    I have bought 2 cars out of state. the first one from oregon. they don't charge tax, but I did have to pay for it once I registered it in idaho. the second and more relavent one was in cali. the rule there was that you had to pay cali tax if you took posession of the car in the state. Idaho then would not collect tax since it was paid in cali(at a higher rate, but that's the price you pay). if you have the vehicle shipped out of state by a licensed transport company, then cali does not collect tax since you are not officially taking posession of the vehicle in their state. Idaho then collects it.

I had no issues buying my supra as a holdover from out of state dealer and had no issues with warranty work from our local dealer, but the service manager is aweome(now is sales and service manager). I do know that my new boat came from an out of town(but not out of state dealer) and he told me up front if I buy it from them and not through him, he won't honor the free 3year service and my boat will be at the back of the pack for warranty work but that even with protected territories if he hasn't done his job right then I should be allowed to buy from a different dealer. I did like that approach.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Both of the boats I have bought have been out of state. I bought from AR and AL, neither charged sales tax. When I registered the boat I bought from AR in TN I had to pay the TN sales tax. I haven't yet had to pay the sales tax for the boat I bought in AL here in GA. I just paid the regular registration fee. I'm assuming it will come with the annual "Birthday tax" bill they send every year. This is my first year in GA and my birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas so combining that with the tax on my truck...OUCH!! Santa Claus may have to break out the feathered hat and put Mrs. Claus to work!
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

C.Hern recommended that dealer to me also. I think I will definitely have to give him a call when the time comes to make a deal. When people make orders around boat show time when is usually the arrival date?

C.Hern recommended that dealer to me also. I think I will definitely have to give him a call when the time comes to make a deal. When people make orders around boat show time when is usually the arrival date?
    Hard to say unless your buying a custom ordered direct from the factory. Even then im not sure how the factory calculates it. I know a lot of people here got there boats built direct from the factory and should be able to answer a time line.

Guessing purly guessing id say 2 months. This is all dependent on how busy the factory is id assume as well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I plan on having a custom order. Do I negotiate with Moomba or a dealer?

Always threw the Dealer. The factory isnt going to deal direct at the boat show. They are there to support the Brand and there local dealers.

But knowing the factory people does help
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]