Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question about the buying process

I plan to go to the Feb. boat show in Dallas, TX and order a boat. I have a couple of questions though. Who do I make a deal with at the boat show? The boat company or a dealer that is there? Also, if it is through a dealer do I have to use my local one? I live in Shreveport, LA and my local Moomba dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Am I allowed to order from a Dallas, Austin, or Houston dealer? I have heard that dealers have "regions" that they can sell too. But I don't want to spend money at a dealership that won't treat me right. My final question is about taxes. Do I have to pay the TX dealer sales tax, and then pay LA sales tax when I register the boat at home?

for the sales tax...when i was in the army down in tenn i bought a boat from a dealer in kentucky and would have paid sales tax if it wasnt for me being in the army..when i got out i moved back to NY and when i went to register it here i had to pay ~$900 in sales tax..dont ask me why it was crazy tho
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

There are dealer teritories not sure how it would work at a boat show though. I have the same deal as you, i dont like my local moomba dealer so i located one online and had it shipped. If i couldnt get around the territory issue i would have bought another brand. If you run it to the issues and dont like your local dealer i would suggest looking at other brands. Losing money will make sc take a closer look at the dealer and fix the issues

As far as taxes, around here you pay the taxes to the state the boat is registered.

So for example. Lets say I buy a boat in TX for $60,000. Would I just pay the dealer $60,000 and then taxes wouldn't be paid until I registered it in LA?

you might have to talk to a dealer on that..or the dmv..i would think when you buy the boat you would pay sales tax..now if register it in another state that you boat the boat from they might charge you as well
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

In indiana you have to show proof that you paid sales tax when you title/register the boat- if you've already paid it in IN or another state you're good to go. If not then you have to pay it then.

As far a territories go in 2008 when I bought mine I had several dealers willing to sell to me out of territory. Last offseason I was going to trade it for a holdover boat that was out of territory- the out of territory dealer called the factory to see if they would let me do it and it was a no go. If you fib to the out of territory dealer about where you live you can probably get by with it especially since you're a first time buyer- just don't count on your local dealer being helpful at all with service.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

The fact that I don't want to go to my local dealer doesn't have to do with pricing. It is completely about service. I have talked to people that have bought from my local dealer and the normal answer is: crappy service. For example, 3-5 month waiting to get anything done, even if you bought from them. Their priority is fishing boats. I am willing to pay a little more, and drive 3-4 hours 1 way to Dallas to get better service. The only thing I am worried about is if they will actually sell to me because of territory and if I have to pay double sales tax. The tax would be a huge hit on a 60k purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by alw041 View Post
    I plan to go to the Feb. boat show in Dallas, TX and order a boat. I have a couple of questions though. Who do I make a deal with at the boat show? The boat company or a dealer that is there? Also, if it is through a dealer do I have to use my local one? I live in Shreveport, LA and my local Moomba dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Am I allowed to order from a Dallas, Austin, or Houston dealer? I have heard that dealers have "regions" that they can sell too. But I don't want to spend money at a dealership that won't treat me right. My final question is about taxes. Do I have to pay the TX dealer sales tax, and then pay LA sales tax when I register the boat at home?
    You can buy your boat from any dealer you want. What you cant do is buy from Tx Dealer and have it shiped and delivered at a LA dealer.

When you buy the boat in TX you dont have to pay TX tax but you will pay LA tax at registration. Im lucky i live in OR no sales tax so if i buy anything in Washington i dont pay tax eighter, such as my Motorcycle.

At the boat show you will most likly have the local Dealer. You can make a deal with him but see the stipulation above. You might see a Factory rep at the show but they wont sell you a boat, they will only talk to you about the boats.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

You are not going to pay double sales tax. I'm pretty sure you pay sales tax when you register the boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thanks for the info Mmandley. I definitely don't want it shipped to my local dealer. If I can find a reputable dealer in Dallas, Houston, or Austin I don't mind the commute for picking it up and annual servicing or warranty work. It would be much faster than letting my boat sit 20 minutes from my house for 4 months for work at my local dealer.