Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V-Drive vs DD

Default V-Drive vs DD

I'm purdy sure I've got my mind made up, but would like you guys' input!

I've already listed my 04 Outback Direct Drive on several sites trying to sell it so I can make the switch to a Moomba V-drive.

I just bought the boat in June and completely decked it out with a custom top, new sound system, new wakeboard prop, and LED lights all over (thanks to you guys). I absolutely love it and it does everything I need it to do, but after riding in my buddy's v-drive on Labor Day it seemed so much more comfortable and less crowded without that engine in the middle.
    We mainly wakeboard, surf/buggy board, and the occasional tube session for the girls. With that being said, the main reason I bought a DD in the first place was because they are just less expensive.

The boat only has 104 hours and is in pristine condition. Original owner never used it, 55 hrs in 8 yrs...

My question for you guys is have any of you made the switch and regretted it or do y'all have any tips/advice/input you can share!?

I feel like I just put my kid up for adoption by listing it on the Internet...

Thanks in advance,
    Taylor
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

I had an '05 LS and sold it at the end of last summer. We bought a '11 LSV this year and I wouldn't go back. The V is just soo much better. Has more storage and has more room. It's much more social as with the DD there was no flow to the enteriror. Seemed like everyone was separated. The DD seemed really crowded and my wife hated how the motorbox was right in the way. The DD is best suited for skiing...we don't do ANY skiing so the LSV was the best choice for us. For what you describe you are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Almost every one of us went through the same thing for the same reasons. Got the Outback as a "do everything" boat. But, because we really aren't tournament slalom skiers and started wakeboarding and surfing a lot more the V-drive had tremendous appeal. Once the wife rode in one with 8-10 people she was sold and that was that. Combine the space with the exceptional utility plus value of the LSV and there was just no other choice. I could never and would never go back.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

04 outback was my first as well..

what do i miss about the outback? it was fun/nimble to drive..

i went to an LSV then a 21V.. I do not slalom so best i can tell, you arent looking for a slalom boat....so you'll love it.

storage, seating, ease of ballast setup... on and on.. #WINNING
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Awesome! That's good to hear, eases my mind about selling her and thanks for the input. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

So I guess my next question would be which v-drive to upgrade to? What's the best year/model/hull for wakeboarding/surfing/lounging (in that order)?

I've seen some nice 2008 LSVs here in TX online for 35-38k. I probably wouldn't want to go over that and obviously would have to get this one sold first.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Quote Originally Posted by tgoody14 View Post
    Awesome! That's good to hear, eases my mind about selling her and thanks for the input. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

So I guess my next question would be which v-drive to upgrade to? What's the best year/model/hull for wakeboarding/surfing/lounging (in that order)?

I've seen some nice 2008 LSVs here in TX online for 35-38k. I probably wouldn't want to go over that and obviously would have to get this one sold first.
    Can't go wrong with an '06+ LSV!
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

06- current LSV's all have the same lower hull (13s have an upper hull change).
    There is a GREAT 2008 in classifieds .. its in Oregon, but dont be scared to ship a boat.. I bought my 21V from portland and shipped it to NY..
    Its hard to beat the LSV for money.. easy to upgrade ballast, etc..
    I had no complaints about my LSV, upgraded because i just get itchy for a new toy every once in a while... and found the deal on the 21v..
    the Outback V's are nice hulls, but you'll enjoy the additional freeboard of the LSV.. and the room. plus the beefier tower .. XLV's are nice.. some folks complain about clean wake at slower speeds, etc... i think you just have to figure out a few things on weight setup with them. JMVOTTO has a new 12 XLV and loves...
    easy to get a great wake or surf wake out of LSV without going crazy on weight.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Can someone describe how significant the difference is for a slalom skier with regards to the V-Drive vs. the Direct Drive?
    I don't run a course, but I'd like to some day. But, I'd also much prefer the room that the V provides as we like to bring a decent group.

TIA

V drive has the engine in the far rear of the boat to kick up a bigger wake
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

We bought a new 2011 LSV this summer, June I think, and have 110 hours on it already. My wife is primarily a slalom skier and she loves the boat. Now mind you we had an I/O before that, but she has skied behind many DD's through the years. The perfect setup would be a house on the lake with 2 docks and a DD and a V Drive, but that's not in the cards. So we decided to get the LSV because we do everything, slalom, wakeboarding, kneeboarding and surfing. We absolutely love this boat. Lots of space and everything just works well.

We got out at least once a week and we usually have at least 4 people that slalom. We generally run between 28-33 mph depending on the level of ability of the skier. At 32-33 the wake is pretty small. Not DD small, but pretty doable. My wife skied for her school team in college and she is OK with it. To me that means if you aren't a competitive slalom skier you probably don't need the DD. The V Drive gives you so much more opportunity and it is capable of great wakes for wakeboarding, kneeboarding and surfing.

It's amazing how much fun surfing is too after a day of 32mph skiing and beating myself up on the wakeboard. It's nice to have a big wave you can just cruise on, but still tear up a bit if you want too.

I say V Drive all the way.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron