Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KRAK View Post
    So let me ask this then, 1 pair of XM9's or 2 pairs of XM7's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would depend on your objectives.
    Two pair of XM7s would give you more peak output. Keep in mind that you are now developing a little more than a 50 percent power increase in addition to the obvious increase in the collective surface area with a second pair. More quantity of the same speaker increases output but has a minimal impact on the speaker characteristics.
    The XM9 will have deeper midbass extension and a warmer balance to begin with.
    So based on my personal objectives, and given the choice between just these two options, I would go with a single pair of the larger XM9s.

David
    Earmark Marine

Krak -

This question comes up often. All this stuff is expensive. If cost is the driving factor, the clear answer is 1 pair of XM9's. Case closed.

The more detailed answer needs to factor in a few things. XM9's will give you more mid bass. If you have no subwoofer in the system, then this is critical. You can tune the XM9's down to 80Hz, where the XM7's tune to 110HZ. If you have a decent sub in the system, then you need to start thinking, do I want 1 pair or 2 pair cosmetically on my tower. How much do I value head room-- (XM9's are a bigger enclosure). You can then decide on trade offs between going with a single pair of large XM9s versus 2 pair of XM7's.

A third view point (which I usually suggest) -- start with a single par of XM9's and then down the road (if needed), add a second pair of speakers into the system. If your powering with the harpoon amplifier then you'd be ready for a second set amplifier power wise. And to be fair, the opposite is true as well. If you dont ever want to add a second pair of tower speakers, then step out of the Harpoon amplifier and go with the 800.4 and save some bucks:

These are the configurations I'm speaking about:

800.4 + 1 pair XM7 or,
    800.4 +1 pair XM9 or,
    Harpoon +1 pair XM9 (leaves room to upgrade next season)
    Harpoon + 2 pair XM9

Here's some more information for you. I snapped a quick picture to take a look at between the two models. the XM7 driver is on the left. You can see its a very simple traditional horn type speaker. On the right, the XM9 speaker looks very different. We did some special stuff to its design in that each part is designed from the ground up (all custom tools). People often associate it with an 8" speaker but its actually about 14" bigger than a traditional pro audio off the shelf 8. It's also lighter because its basket is built into the driver itself out of plastic. A lot of thought was put into it to make it lightweight, yet larger, than its XM7 brother. I dont mean to be talking down the XM7. It's just the XM9 is newer in a lot of ways.

2012-09-19 09.49.37.jpg
    2012-09-19 09.49.15.jpg

There are some other details that make it cooler than the XM7 as well. The grills can be rotated in 360 degrees so they lineup correctly. The XM7 cannot. The logo on the back can be removed to uncover a switch that attenuates the horn high frequency so you have a subtle shift toward more of an SQ setup.

Both the XM7 and XM9 will come with the neoprene bags and also the spin mount clamps. I didn't catch what Moomba you have, but they will mount directly into the V2 tower if you have that on your boat.

To sum it up:

If head space is the primary concern. Go XM7
    If sound performance is the primary objective. Go XM9

Good luck.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

When have you ever heard "7 is enough" - Obviously she wants the whole 9!

She being the boat, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter!
    2013 Outback V

I guess I'm just a technical and detail guy. But when we start comparing one product to other products outside the brand I want us to have the exact and correct facts or else never make alternate brand comparisons.
    Speaker surface area is measured from the center of the outer surround to the center of the outer surround. That is the industry standard.
    The Exile XM9 midbass driver measures 7.0".
    Another nameless ProAudio 8-inch driver measures 6 & 11/16".
    There is exactly a 5/16" difference. It's hard to round up an inch with a 5/16" difference.
    This difference in diameter equates to a 9 percent difference in surface area...and not a 14 percent difference. It requires nearly a 30 percent difference to gain a 1 dB increase. And a 1 dB increment is the minimum difference that the human auditory system can discern in a perfectly 'quiet' room let alone an environment with ambient noise levels. So unlike the comparably large differences between a 6.5" and 8" or an 8" and a 10", this difference is so small it cannot be heard.
    If comparing to an 8" surf speaker from this alternate brand with a continuous midbass cone the difference in surface area is only 4 percent. Realistically it would take ten times that 4 percent difference to gain a minute audible advantage.
    Now, it's really not possibly to compare products of other brands based solely on surface area because surface area is only part of the performance equation. Output is determined by displacement and displacement is a combination of surface area AND excursion. There are a number of elements that determine controlled excursion like cone rigidity and voice coil length and driver compression to name just a few. So if referencing another product outside of one manufacturer you must be prepared to know and provide the whole story.
    I didn't bring up another "traditional off-the-shelf 8" for comparison sake but I certainly get the implication. So please do not compare speakers based on such simple and deceptive (although this may be unintentional) statements and I won't be compelled to correct them. Just keep it real. Thanks.

David
    Earmark Marine

Really........
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Really........
    agreed, all that technical jargin makes no sense to me, must be a comment for the 1%.

A simple answer with why your recommending a product would help somebody like myself so much better.

Sorry David but you loose me with your stuff about 99% of the time.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    agreed, all that technical jargin makes no sense to me, must be a comment for the 1%.

A simple answer with why your recommending a product would help somebody like myself so much better.

Sorry David but you loose me with your stuff about 99% of the time.
    Thats the point, lose you in the techy talk so you have to contact him direct.

Dave with all do respect untill the last post i was thinking you truly wanted to help the OP, I dont think Brain was pointing fingers at any particular brand in his post, directly or indirectly.

Id also advise you to do the same with your advise >>I didn't bring up another "traditional off-the-shelf 8" for comparison sake but I certainly get the implication. So please do not compare speakers based on such simple and deceptive (although this may be unintentional) statements and I won't be compelled to correct them. Just keep it real. Thanks<< Ive seen these type of things played out more then once on this forum between Earmark and Exile.

Idealy id really like to see Earmark and Exile burry the hatchet on this forum and strickly just help answer peoples questions. Stop the indirect attacks, the baiting one another into an argument, and this brand is better then that brand.

People on the Moomba forum are real people who just want to get the best they can afford, and want to learn something about what they are buying before they buy it. Honestly i think theres only about 6 people who even care about Wetsound VS Exile in tech comparisons. Most just really want to know whats going to sound best for my dollar. The honest answer is a forum cant tell you that. Nor can a retailer or a Distributor. Only your ears can say what sounds better dollar for dollar.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Sorry guys but initially I simply answered questions limited to the two products as requested by the OP. And, it was based on personal opinions just like everyone else. Actually my comments were in harmony with everyone else. No other brand was mentioned nor was anything written that was derrogatory about this or any other brand. Just fine thus far.

It is when the reference to another product outside of Exile is injected that this will go off course again and again. The information offered that I reacted to was technical in nature and absolutely incorrect. I responded with technical information that is factual and accurate. Sure I get technical because I understand the technical part very well and it is the only part that is wholely objective. The bottom line message is 'don't hype your product in reference to another product that you are not qualified to comment on'. Subtle as it may be, this has been a reocurring theme. When the comments go in that direction mine will predictably follow. And I am completely comfortable with my comments even in the face of criticism.

Anytime I make a statement that is technical I welcome the opportunity to elaborate on any part of it and will do the best I can to break it down in better terms and make it more understandable. Just ask. I don't go out on a limb without the supporting background.

And Mike, you totally misunderstand and misrepresent my motives so please don't speculate as to what they are. As long as we are talking tendencies here and labeling behaviors, when I offer a contrasting opinion your approach seems to turn personal in nature. You might want to work on that.

I am going to continue to follow my own constitution whether the most popular or not.

David

so if the xm9 is only 8" is the rev10 9"?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

David,
    A Wetsounds REV10 is no less and no more than a standard 10" speaker.
    For Wetsounds specific questions you could always start a new thread.
    David