Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New vehicle = expensive oil change Dexos

Got a new 2012 suburban Lt in July, just got the oil changed today and GM has some crazy Dexos systentic mandate wihich twice as expensive as the regular oil. it last 6,000 mile but WTH.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thats what i like to call reading the fine print my friend. Several Dealers are doing this now because it keeps the vechicle in there shop for service and repair. Prolonging the money they get from you.

exp. My Victory takes speacial Victory oil, full sythetic but its only sold by the Victory dealers because this stuff not only runs in the engine but in the trans as well. If you use other then Victory oil you run the risk of ruining the clutch in the trans.

The oil filter and oil is like 60 bucks off the shelf at the dealer, or i pay 65 to have the dealer change my oil. So i just take it to the dealer. Worst part is my oil only lasts 2500 miles due to the trans. On the newer 2010 up models they introduced a new trans and it goes 5K on oil changes.

Speaking of oil changes the rig needs an oil change, thats about 100 bucks if i do it myself.
    15qts of full synthetic and 20 bucks for the oil filter, but i should change my fuel filters and thats another 50 bucks...the joys of owning Diesels LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

as mike states, it's all designed to keep you coming back to that dealer.
    it's just like the boats when you look at the plug that was on the top of my supra engine it stated only some pennzoil marine oil, but in reality there are many oils that will fit the bill and many recommendations posted on this board just for that issue.
    it will be the same with your chevy and with mike' victory. none of those oils have some magical mystery ingredient that makes them only work in that vehicle. the key is to do your reasearch and figure out what the engine really needs to function properly and find an oil that fits the bill.

now my take: if it's a new product, just like my new boat, I'm a diy guy, but I'll have the oil changed and pay the extra cash from the dealer until the warranty is gone. a dealer will be MUCH more excited to help you with a warranty claim if they have been doing the service. the few exta $$'s in oil changes until warranty runs out is worth having that service manager on your side.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

What sandm said exactly I'm in service and if you've never visited before you only come in for a warranty issue, I'm not going out of my way to help you.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Got a new 2012 suburban Lt in July, just got the oil changed today and GM has some crazy Dexos systentic mandate wihich twice as expensive as the regular oil. it last 6,000 mile but WTH.
    How does to Suburban tow the boat?

I'm looking at a leftover LT with the 3.42 rear end and a Yukon with a 3.08 rear end.

Just don't want to little power coming from a 1500 Crew with the 6.2 liter and a 3.42 rear end

Quote Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post

I'm looking at a leftover LT with the 3.42 rear end and a Yukon with a 3.08 rear end.

Just don't want to little power coming from a 1500 Crew with the 6.2 liter and a 3.42 rear end
    I wouldnt tow with a 3.08 rear end. it will kill you.

3.42 is a better option but honestly if you plan to tow you want the 3.73 in it.
    Taller the ratio the more low end pulling power, less top end and low milage.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Agreed. You do not want the 3.08 gear ratio.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Just check the rating for the oil specified by the manufacturer, some other company out there will make an oil that meets or exceeds it for a lot less money than your dealer is selling. I am a DIYer for just about everything.

Funny, almost every motorcycle uses the engine oil in the tranny, there are very few bikes that have seperate oil/tranny cases. That is why you shouldn't use car oil in them.

My local Ford dealer sends me "coupons" for $19 oil and filter changes with semi-syn oil. So, the wifes Fusion goes there for the last few times.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post

Fine, I guess this is my fourth burb and all have had the towing package. That is as far as I have looked. I tow 90 miles each way twice a year over some pretty steep hills. No problems.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Cost me $150 to change the oil and filters in my truck and I do it myself

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv