Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Online shopping...

I'm doing a little bit of some research about online shopping. I figured where else to get answers than from my peers. If you all would take a few minutes to answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. Keep it specific to Watersports gear and boating accessories.

When you guys go to buy gear online where do you guys usually go?

What do you like to buy?

What are the most important aspects of the online shopping experience?

What would you like to see more e-tailers offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

-I go when I need something. first place is ebay

-I use online to buy basics such as fenders, dock line and did buy one surfboard online

-price-price-price. I don't mind waiting for it to ship, but the price better make it worth it

-can't offer anything here as you can get just about anything you need for the boating world online

for me, I have tried to buy most of my boating gear at the local level. I have purchased a surfboard, some basic boating accessories such as fenders/line online, but almost everything has been bought at a local level. comp lifevests vary in size so I like to try before I buy. granted most offer free exchanges, but it's a hassle and the few $$ more that it'll cost locally makes sure I get it right the first time. boards have all been bought off recommendations from local shops that I don't think you can get the same level of customer service online. All of my audio gear(not sure if this counts or not) have come from online resources except my current tower speakers that came from the local tige dealer and that's due to not having a single local boatshop that knows two-craps about audio and 2 local stereo shops that are SOOOOOO overpriced with both gear and installs that it pays to do it yourself..

if I really had to see a bigger online presence, it would be clothing at a decent price. $20 for a branded tee is crazy money. show me a website offering top brand apparel for $10/tee, $25/hoodie, $29/boardshorts...

my .02
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

When you guys go to buy gear online where do you guys usually go? ebay or amazon

What do you like to buy? jackets, boards, boat accessories

What are the most important aspects of the online shopping experience? save money, convenience (places that offer free shipping really make a difference)

What would you like to see more e-tailers offer? free beer coupons
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

When you guys go to buy gear online where do you guys usually go?
    eBay, Amazon, Barts & Overtons when stuff is on sale

What do you like to buy?

LEDs, audio gear, racks/accessories, prop, ballast, boards, few clothes. For jackets and board shorts I've found too much variation in size.

What are the most important aspects of the online shopping experience?

Product details and photos (if you aren't already familiar with what you're buying.) If I'm looking at a surf board I want to see it from many angles, know the dimensions if it will fit in my racks, etc. Second would be competitive price and shipping. Not a lot of local "good" boat/pro shops here so my closest is an hour away. I also don't mind spending a few bucks to have it show up on my door step vs. running around town. Price shopping on-line is a whole lot easier.

What would you like to see more e-tailers offer?
    Discounts - bottom line. Percentage off total purchase is the best in my book, free shipping offers are good too. Combinations of those are even better.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I buy everything online, unless I need it that day..

Mainly from http://www.bartswatersports.com/, it comes next day for me.. Everything else I use google/ebay/craiglist to find the cheapest and fastest shipper..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

We always always check ebay unless it it a food item basically. When we go shopping, like to best buy for example, Ill pick up the item, scan the UPC code with my phone into Ebay and it will automatically pull up the cheapest ones. I have yet to find something in real life that wasnt cheaper on ebay. I honestly dont understand how stores stay in business anymore. Maybe for old people that dont use technology or the gotta have it today situations, but the old people are going to die, and "gotta have it today" isnt going to keep whole stores in business. We have saved thousands and thousands of dollars shopping on ebay. We went the other day looking for a GPS, scanned the UPC code and Ebay has it, with the same warranty and terms, and it was 40% cheaper than in the store. Its the only way in my book.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

^they call that "showrooming". the issue with that is as bricks and mortar retailers like best buy go under(they are in trouble), the ability to go out and touch the item before you save the money will be gone.

amazon has broken ground on 5 new mega-dc's that should put a very large percentage of their items within one day or same day delivery of most of the country. bricks will never go away, but online is becoming the new norm with cheaper prices, but as they build these dc's and start having to charge sales tax(its' coming), their competitive advantage will lessen.

I sense a big war in the next few years and the end winner will be the consumer short term, but we'll see bout long term.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Anything with free shipping and no sales tax. Amazon is out most of the time because they charge sales tax in this state. Our sales tax is high (8.3%) because we have no income tax. I also go to Oregon to buy as they have no sales tax.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    We always always check ebay unless it it a food item basically. When we go shopping, like to best buy for example, Ill pick up the item, scan the UPC code with my phone into Ebay and it will automatically pull up the cheapest ones. I have yet to find something in real life that wasnt cheaper on ebay. I honestly dont understand how stores stay in business anymore. Maybe for old people that dont use technology or the gotta have it today situations, but the old people are going to die, and "gotta have it today" isnt going to keep whole stores in business. We have saved thousands and thousands of dollars shopping on ebay. We went the other day looking for a GPS, scanned the UPC code and Ebay has it, with the same warranty and terms, and it was 40% cheaper than in the store. Its the only way in my book.
    I scan and get them to price match..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Well..living in Canada I shop for everything online, I have bought everything, including my 2 Moomba boats, I use Ebay and also Claz.org If it is clothing or shoes etc..I will try them on at retailer then find them way cheaper in the USA...As for shipping we get hosed, but have most of it shipped the cheapest method available to a shipping warehouse outlet in Montana then do a day trip to pick up all my gear. Google is great to pinpoit specific items to compare prices on most ebay purchased items...Paypal or credit card is the only way I pay
    2008 Moomba LSV, Gravity III, 1100 port.750 in goofy side rear,400 center,650 IBS everything else stock.....Home lake... Glennifer Lake, Alberta Canada...