Thread: Loose Steering?

Default Loose Steering?

My 2010 Outback DD seems to have loose steering - if I take my hand off the wheel, the boat will begin to pull to the starboard with the wheel continuing to turn the longer I don't hold it. It seems to me that when I bought the boat about a year ago in would stay stationary if I let go (some slight tension on the steering column). What do other boats do? Is there and adjustment to tighten the steering? Thanks.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    LOL - I do kind of want the opposite from Garn - right now, my wheel tends to want to spin a bit to the right - not really noticable unless I need to let go of the wheel for a second but it does spin if given a chance and the boat would begin to turn in a tighter and tighter circle if allowed to continue. When I first got the boat the steering was tighter - maybe it would drift slowly if given a chance but there wasn't the almost immediate turn. I would just like to make the steering stiffer.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

I don't know if that's normal or not, but I can tell you my 08 Outback stays nice and straight when I let go of the wheel.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

You could try just the opposite of what I'm going to do. Instead of grinding the trailing edge of the starboard side of your rudder, grind the port side.
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)