Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default oil change- Outback

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on changing the oil in my 05 Outback. I had the initial service done at 20 hrs. and it's time for the 50 hr oil change. I know where the filter is and how to change that but I'm not sure where the drain bolt is and how to get the oil out without getting it all over the place. Unfortunately, the owners manual for both the boat and the engine doesn't help much. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Default Replying to Topic 'oil change- Outback'

I have an 04 Outback and though I have never changed the oil, during my initial inspection and orientation when I first bought the boat, the dealer showed me a tube that is clipped onto the back of the motor, this is connected to the bottom of the oil pan. They said all you do is un-clip the tube, put it through the drain plug hole, remove the bolt at the end of the tube and thats it, just drain the oil into a container, change the filter, put in new oil and your good to go.

that's correct a...........my advice is to warm up the engine (if possible) or the oil will take a long time to drain. Also, when taking off the oil filter, place a 'zip lock baggy' over the filter to keep from spilling oil into the bilge when you remove the filter. Works like a charm.
    hope this helps
    Butta
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

The "Quick-Drain" tube is great. Warm up the boat to operating temp if possible. If not, you can still do it, just give it over night to drain completely. Stick the quick drain tube through the drain hole and remove the cap (use two open-ended wrenches to do this) and put it into a container that will hold 5 qts. I wait til the engine cools down before I take off the oil filter (that hot oil on your hands doesn't feel too good). I put a towel into the bilge under the oil filter, then use a zip-lock or bread bag over the filter after I have it loosened up. It will spill some oil and be a little messy. Then fill the new filter 3/4 full and replace it (don't forget to rub some oil on the gasket of the new filter). Recap the drain hose and put 4 qts of oil in the engine. Run to temp, then keep adding a little oil at a time til the engine is full. It's pretty easy and the quick drain really helps.

Good luck. After one or two times, you'll have it wired and be able to do it really quickly.

I know this subject might be in other threads but I thought it would be a chance to talk about it again since we are talking oil changes here.

Is there a difference between automotive 15W-40 and marine 15W-40? Same question for the oil filter. Is there a difference?
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

The marine grade is supposed to have additives that the automotive grade does not have.
    I did find a 15w-40 Pennzoil heavy duty grade @ Walmart for $1.78 qt. that used last time I changed mine.
    In case you wanted to use a Fram oil filter, I think the # is TG30 for the 'tough guard' one.
    Hope this helps
    Butta
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I e-mailed Indmar on the 15w40 subject. Indmar said that any 15w40 with SL/CH-4 grade meets requirements. So, something like Rotella T 15w40 will be fine. As far as changing the oil, get a fake a lake tool to feed water into the cooling hoses. This item can be bought from West Marine, Overton's and others. This device will allow you to do a lot of maintenance in your driveway. Warm the engine up to thin the oil, then pull the tube through the plug hole and drain it into a container. You might want to prime (put oil into the oil filter) prior to installing it. This way when started after the first oil change the motor will not have a small dry spell until the motor circulates oil to the filter.
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

I have an 03 LSV. The hose is too short to drain out the plug opening. So, instead I warm the engine up and use a suction hose to pull the oil out the fill hole. I get most all of it out and it saves me a trip to the dealer.

Anyone have a pic of this Quick Drain Hose or can describe to me where its located? I have a Mobius LS and am going to attempt to change the oil tomorrow with a friend.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should see a dead ended hose with a brass connection on the end running along on of the valve covers. Unclip it and put through the drain.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD