Default Argh: Stuffing Box Nut!

So I just bought this boat, and it was leaking like crazy from the stuffing box. No problem, I thought, I'll redo the shaft seal.

So I maneuvered in there, disassembled a lot of hoses and strainer cups to get under there, and did the work. Stuffed the box with 4 strands of Gore Tex, and thought I was near done.

Nope. The nut (the one the stuffing is in) REFUSES to thread back into place. I work with if for a long time, no dice. So I removed one of the strands of Gore Tex thinking it should be easy now.

Nope, still will not go.

So I'm desparately seeking help...is there any reason anyone can think of that the nut refuses to rethread? As far as I can tell, the nut sits flush against the threads it's supposed to go on, but it won't go.

I haven't checked shaft alignment yet; this boat is new to me, so I guess it could be an issue. It doesn't look out of alignment, but I know that's no kind of test.

Desperately yours,

dhyams

edit: the jam nut very nicely glides on and off of the threads, so the threads on the shaft are at least OK. When I originally unscrewed the packing nut to get it off the threads originally, it also glided off nicely...in other words, I never had to force anything.
    Last edited by dhyams; 09-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

I've removed all of the new rope from within the stuffing box. So the stuffing nut is jiggly with a lot of play, and still I can't get it to thread back on?

I'm so frustrated.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Man I'm so bummed you're in distress but I'm not sure what to tell ya to do. Don't give up!
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

All I can tell you is that I've experienced the same thing. The nut comes off easy, but with or without packing it is next to impossible to get it started on the threads again. I've had several times wondering if I would ever get it back together. The only thing I can tell you is to keep trying. Try pushing down or pulling up on the shaft to adjust the angle by a mm or so. I think it's what made the difference for me. If you can't get it, maybe I can drop by sometime and give you a hand. Not sure where you are in Chattanooga, but I'm in the Ooltewah area.

I've tried pushing and pulling on the stuffing box hose, the shaft and everything I could think of; it just won't go on. I'm wondering if the first couple of threads on the stuffing nut are fused or something. I'm going to try again, but I also used a Q-tip and wiped PB Blaster all over the inside of the nut, to break any rust that was there.

TitanTN, I'm in the Hixson area. At this point, I'll pay you in money, food, and my eternal gratitude if you do have the time to drop by!

Otherwise I guess the season's over and I'll take the boat to Erwin for them to attempt to fix. I keep thinking it's going to take a shaft removal and a replacement of the nut.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Finally got it.

TitanTN was kind enough to meet me and take a look himself. He gave me some advice that turned out to be the trick.

The boat's shaft is not centered in the hole. So what he suggested, and what worked like a charm, was to unclamp the hose part of the stuffing box, and pull it off to give yourself some more angle to play with when threading the nut on. Worked. I would (probably) not have tried it myself, because I didn't understand what the hose was clamping to, but with his description of what was inside, it was clear.

Pulled the hose off (4 hose clamps) of the "cylinder" is was clamped too, threaded the first couple of turns of the stuffing nut, and then shoved the hose back onto the cylinder. Reclamped and done.

Thanks so much TitanTN!!!
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Awesome! I'm glad that worked. I wish we could have just fixed it when I was there today, but you got it in the end. Now hit the lake before the season is over. Hopefully I'll see you out there.
    1986 Supra Saltare