Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer fixin

Default Trailer fixin

For me the its that end of season time of year, unless there is some freak warm day, but days are getting shorter, and the kids are back in school. I decided to get some long pending trailer fixes done. Some basic stuff; new winch, new jack. Then some in depth repairs. For some background first..

Back when I bought the boat, there were significant cracks around the guide pole, where it passes through the step and on the side of the frame rail. This caused the poles to vibrate badly on the highway and the steps to be loosen. Cheers to Boatmate. I contacted them about the issue. They offered to repair the trailer, but I would have to bring it to them, but this was not an option for me. They offered to send me the parts for me to repair, which I took them up on. This included the new updated design with the removable poles

I finally got started on the guide pole project. Although some welds were cracked..Some parts were loose..It was a pain to actually get them off. Thats all the further I have gotten so far. Thought I would post some pic up for fun.

Before pics

Parts removed

2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

The scars;

The rust outline shows how the welds had broken from the vibrations
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Well, I have to say. That really looks like fun.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Hoop who did you talk to at Boatmate? I am having the same problems on my 02 trailer.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

This looks like the same problem I am having with my 04 also. Keep me up on your progress, I will be going down the same road soon.

Thanks, John
    2004 Mobius LSV

I talked with Owen Shelton at Boatmate via email. However I dont have his email address anymore. My conversation took place back in 2009, so several years ago.

I hope Boat mate takes care of you guys.

Unfortunatly my dealing with Boatmate not even 1 summer after we bought the boat was less then satisfactory.

I have paint cracks, and bubbles over the weld marks where it will eventualy chip and peel off. Boatmate basically said ohh well, not my problem because you bought the boat. They wouldnt even send my touch up paint, and this was when the trailer was less then 6 months old.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I hope Boat mate takes care of you guys.

Unfortunatly my dealing with Boatmate not even 1 summer after we bought the boat was less then satisfactory.

I have paint cracks, and bubbles over the weld marks where it will eventualy chip and peel off. Boatmate basically said ohh well, not my problem because you bought the boat. They wouldnt even send my touch up paint, and this was when the trailer was less then 6 months old.
    I'm thinking that this may have been a design flaw issue that is safety related. Probably cheaper for them to fix it or supply the parts than go through a potential expensive law suit.

I've got the same cracks by the guide pole, but my step is still solid. Looks like I'm going to crawl under the trailer and do a closer inspection of the welds. I would hate to see the step fall off on the highway and possibly hurt someone driving behind me.

I looked at a couple of new moombas earlier this summer and noticed the guide pole/step design on the new trailers is different. If memory serves the guide pole portion is NOT welded to anything. It fits in a sleeve on the step and is fastened by a removable pin in the sleeve.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

Some progress. I've hit the point in the project where I wish it was just done. Although it almost looks like I know what I'm doing.
    Some fresh paint on the poles and fenders;

New hardware on the trailer;

I coated my welds on the bracket with epoxy just because I am kinda paranoid. The bracket I also partially coated with truck bed lining prior to welding on.

All done. I found that Rustoleum makes a shade of red that was almost an exact match, so I used that. The underside was done with spray can truck bed liner. Lights were upgraded to LED. I would expect better results if I had paid a body shop or similar facility to do the repair, but I am happy with the results. It is a 10 yr old trailer.