Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Exiled...

The Blue Sea 6007 is a standard dual battery switch with 3 posts. It will not provide the same benefits as a dual circuit 5511e 4 post switch.
    The 6007 switch when integrated with an ACR/VSR is an ackward match-up similar to what BEP Marine does. I don't like that scheme at all. The 6007 switch will not enable isolated AC shore charging. You can wire it in an unconventional method to achieve isolation but the switch nomenclature will not match the function and that is a poor option.
    I strongly recommend the 5511e when you are using a shore charger. Keep it simple and benefit from ALL the functions that the 5511e & ACR/VSR will provide....not to mention an easier scheme to visualize in various circumstances.
    There's shore charging.
    There's long weekend boating/camping trips at another lake and no access to shore power.
    There are countless other scenarios where the 5511e is friendly to understand and use. It's really all encompassing.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I guess my question is this simple I think MLA answered it. No, get the combined switch

Can I use this switch BS 6007 ( factory dual battery issue) with an ACR and Dual pro mariner 20 on board charger( factory installed option)?
    The 6007M is also a 3-post switch like the 9001E, so they are electrically the same in terms of how they are configured and how they isolate and combine. When using an ACR and dual-bank charger, the ideal switch is the 5511, unless you devise and means to defeat the ACR's ground circuit when the engine is off and the charger is on. Its far less complicated and overall better functionally to swap to the 5511.

Mike,
    For several seasons we placed a switch on the ground of voltage sensing relays/solenoids to force isolation. We even used a relay and looped it through several circuits to automatically disconnect the ground while in the storage state, thereby eliminating the manual switch. An engineer (it's really hard to get a true engineer on the horn versus a service rep who knows next to nothing) and he ask us to discontinue that approach. I suspect that the reason is because microprocessors get confused when B+ is applied before ground which is why when you hard reset you always apply the ground first. Admittedly we did not have a problem, at least not that I am aware of. So I cannot say conclusively, not to do it. I'm just passing on what was shared with me. Since that time we have converted over to the 5511e switch when using ACR/VSRs.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Mike,
    For several seasons we placed a switch on the ground of voltage sensing relays/solenoids to force isolation. We even used a relay and looped it through several circuits to automatically disconnect the ground while in the storage state, thereby eliminating the manual switch. An engineer (it's really hard to get a true engineer on the horn versus a service rep who knows next to nothing) and he ask us to discontinue that approach. I suspect that the reason is because microprocessors get confused when B+ is applied before ground which is why when you hard reset you always apply the ground first. Admittedly we did not have a problem, at least not that I am aware of. So I cannot say conclusively, not to do it. I'm just passing on what was shared with me. Since that time we have converted over to the 5511e switch when using ACR/VSRs.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Interesting. Here is how BS explains to do it. I guess they looked into it at some point and found it to be OK.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/t...olving_acr.pdf

trying to get it in a format that will allow me to post it here.

Ok, heres a Jpeg. I will admit that i did not know that this existed on the ACR's website till now. I, like David, saw no harm in interrupting the ground and have done it in the past. Just keep in mind that this is for the Blue Sea 7610, so other ACR/VSR's may see this mod differently.

David and Mike,

thanks for the input and the degree of technicality that you guys bring. That is the route i will go.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Until now I have not seen that technical brief either. It sure is exciting when learning something new! Thanks!
    I'm not too keen about cutting the AC supply in case I have to warranty a charger. I can do something similar with a DC circuit whenever both the boat key is off and the stereo is off. However, if I am using an inverted AC inlet, which we routinely use, then we already have a built in junction for the relay tap without skinning a cord or adding additional parts.
    Btw, it was SurePower that discouraged me from the ground wire interruption path but the engineer never gave me a concrete reason why not, so I had to speculate as to why.

David
    Earmark Marine

That's very cool MLA. Thanks for sharing that.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

We made a lot of progress this weekend.

Got all of the wires ran from left to right, and mounted the ZLD;

Mounted and wired the 1500.1, so we are ready to rock once I finish the box;
    2013 Outback V

Finished wiring the 800.4 and Harpoon;

2013 Outback V