Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles!

thought about it when we were in idaho. miller motorsports park in slc was only 4hrs away and did several motorcycle-only days but it boils down to cost. only so much $$ to go around for the hobbies and I don't see us giving up boating for mc racing anytime soon. i'll be happy with a good commuter and something we can day-trip on around here.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I understand that completely. My wife wants a horse and I told her that we could get one but we would have to give up boating AND racing. And well that isn't going to happen. She loves it all too much. Once she starts her new job this spring we will be getting a horse, I just have this feeling haha. I love boating and racing but if I had to choose I would have to sell the boat. I can't get away from bikes.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

love my fz1. Tons of aftermarketand community support. A couple of tweaks along with the exhaust and a Power Commander and I'm around 150 HP. It is an older gen R1 engine with a few minor changes. Not uncommen to hear of over 100k miles on them. Did I mention I really love my FZs? My 6 was modded some, and I could keep up with my buddy on his Ducati Multistrada until around 125, although i was really wringing it out to do so.

FYI: My wife enjoyed riding on both the FZ's with me, as do my kids. They do just fine 2-up, with an hour or so between breaks. I drag pegs in the twisties with a passenger all the time.

You mentioned the hypermotard. I've ridden one and wasn't overly impressed. Fun, but not the greatest commuter if you're going to be riding higway very far. Multistrada is my dreambike.

Before the FZ1, I rode a Triumph, BMW, and Aprilia Futura, and nothing fit me as well as the FZ1... I put over 40k miles on my FZ6, and the valves were all in spec still. I like my Yamaha's as well
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

I'm leaning toward a kawi z1000 or an fz1. I like the ktm's but price is a big consideration as I don't think I need to get 10k+ in a bike as a commuter. I've seen a couple z1000's at under 8k for a brand new machine as a holdover. haven't shopped the fz's but in typical yammi fashion, they will probably be more expensive. I'm not brand loyal to anything really but price I think will keep me in a kawi product. they build a good bike and seem to be cheaper otd.

That's awesome. Yamaha's are great. I beat up my R1 rode extremely hard all the time and when I got rid of it it had close to 30k miles and valves were still in spec and even after a couple wrecks she still rode as good as the day I got her.

It's good your wife and kids enjoy it too. If my wife didn't ride I don't know what I would do.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

I like the Z1000's as well. Worked on a few of them. Nothing major just did some oil changes, changes and sprockets. From what I hear they are pretty solid overall bikes.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

My buddy I used to ride with had a Z1000. Nice bike. Not quite as fast and no wind protection at all, but comfortable and still plenty fast. Don't think it has "quite" as much aftermarket support. As for price, I really dont' think they are too far off.

As for quality, I currently own all 4 Jap dirtbikes (and then some). Honda and Yamaha quality can't be beat. I've owned Suzuki Katana as well. I liked the bike, but I am not a Suzi fan at all. YOu get what you pay for, and Suzi's are cheaper. Don't get me wrong, they're not a "bad" bike, but they aren't the quality of the others. Kawasaki's a not far behind the Y & H, but I still think the Y & H are a little ahead of it.

I don't kno whow the previous owner treated my FZ, but the valves were out a little at 36k checkup.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

I agree with the rankings rc. I'd never buy a zuki as I think the gixxers give the brand a bad name. too many headstrong youths buying them.

Agreed. When I lived in Orlando it was nothing but kids buying gixxers then stretching and chroming them out and thinking they were king of the streets but all they really wanted to do was have a kickstand party and talk about how awesome they were and how much chrome they had. screw that.

I say kids but I was 18 when I bought my R1 and lived down there and still thought they were stupid and couldn't handle the crap. Guess I am "mature" for my age? At least in that sense. haha
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

Started chopping last night.

Tank mocked up.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"