Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Everybody please use your engine blower!!

I will admit i've only used the blower in my boat a couple times since i bought it last year. But after what I witnessed a Lake Texoma on Saturday at Pappys Marina, I'll be turning it on everytime before starting.

As we were leaving Pappys Marina with some friends, I hear a loud pop. I turned immediately around and see a boat exploding at the dock!! We immediately turned around and see a man, girl and dog in the water. They had been blown off the boat by the explosion. Probably the rear third of the boat had been blown to bits. We had heard that 2 guys were standing on the back when it exploded. Sent one guy as high as the roof of the marina!!

We heard later that the owner was having carb issues and had just filled up at the marina. Went to start it and it exploded. Guessing by the size of the boat, probably had at least a 100 gallon tank (don't know if they topped it off). Soon as the flames started up, the fiberglass went up like it was straw. We could see the boat melting before us. A few of the dock workers jumped in a boat and were able to toss a line with an anchor on it and pulled it out to deeper water and out of the marina.

Luckily nobody died but a few of the folks were seriously injured.

My wife managed to get video seconds after it exploded. (I have to chop the video down, youtube rejected it said it was to long. But will post as soon as I shrink it down)

I took a pic of the boat that tried to push it out into the marina. That boat immediately caught on fire as he tried to push the flaming boat out. And I got a pic of whats left of the boat.

2012-09-01 18.12.17.jpg2012-09-02 16.00.42.jpg
    Last edited by Clamcakes; 09-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Everytime we get in the boat the blower goes on and stays on till we shut her down.

We in the blower all the time as well. Sad story...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

What's the manufacturer recommend as far as blower usage? Run all day or just prior to starting or what? Mine sends feedback through the speakers on the boat so I only run my before I start the engine and then shut it off once I'm up an running.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Lake Texoma Pappys Marina Boat Explosion

Here is the video

2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

WOW! That is crazy and you were way too close for comfort. Glad to see you got the heck out of there when you did.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    What's the manufacturer recommend as far as blower usage? Run all day or just prior to starting or what? Mine sends feedback through the speakers on the boat so I only run my before I start the engine and then shut it off once I'm up an running.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    Before starting and any speed below cruising

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv

That is seriously scary... jeez. We use ours before starting, but maybe not long enough. Nice wake up call.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

minimum of 15 seconds prior to starting is what my manual says and than what ga said always at slow speeds, only for safety never allow fumes to build up. Usually if i have been sitting for awhile i will use blower and lift up the engine hatch to be sure.
    2008 22SSV Worlds

Great advice. Thanks for sharing this. Keeping the hatch open when you are parked lets it vent and also cool, which is also good for preventing the dreaded vapor lock situation.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!