Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Folks, I may have just found sometnhing but I won't know until I get back to the lake.

I have reviewed my notes on my wiring of the new ignition and the wiring diagram. I have a red wire (battery) on the ignition. The wiring diagram calls for a red/violet wire!!!!! Stupid me!

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know the outcome.

Hold on. I lost my confidence.

Back to the diagram. The ingition circuit breaker has two wires 1) Red and 2) Red/Violet. Since I ran the Red wire directly to the ignition switch....didn't just bypass the circuit breaker? The red/violet wire is only seen here and nowhere else on the diagram.

I don't have an answer to your issue, just some food for thought:

There is a certain amount of pride one can take away from doing a job themselves. There is also a point in time where you have wasted too much of your time, energy and effort on something that you could/should have paid an expert to do. The tipping point is sometimes referred to as the point of diminishing returns. I often go too far on the wrong side.

It makes that most sense that something is wired wrong. Taking all of the factors into account, I would used the diagram and trace every wire. Start with the "spliced" ones or the ones know to have been moved, removed, or altered in the process of the new/old ignition.

Drew has a great point as the weather is getting good, lot of daylight. It's fine to waste time in the winter, now you can use the boat, don't waste the weather.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

There are three wires at the back of the engine: orange, red, and purple. Orange has 12.3 volts in the on position only. The purple and red don't show any voltage at anytime. I straight wired the fuel pump with a switch and the boat will crank and run. I think the purple one should have voltage with the key in the on position then giving power to the red wire and fuel pump. Any suggestions or ideas?

Default Re: boat cranks but wont start

You did check the oil pressure switch right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    There are three wires at the back of the engine: orange, red, and purple. Orange has 12.3 volts in the START/RUN position only. The purple and red don't show any voltage at anytime. I straight wired the fuel pump with a switch and the boat will crank and run. I think the purple one should have voltage with the key in the on position then giving power to the red wire and fuel pump. Any suggestions or ideas?

Correction: Orange has 12.3 when ignition is in the START/RUN position.

[back from the lake-still no luck]

Brought alternator home. Tested good.

Not sure how to check the oil pressure switch. I did figure out that the wiring in the back of the engine was to bypass the oil pressure switch. Should I purchase a new one ($40)?? I should get 12.3 volts on the violet wire, shouldn't I? The red wire goes to the fuel pump so it should get its power from the purple when the ignition is turned to "on".

Again, I have confirmed that my wiring of the ignition switch is correct by the wiring diagram and the volt meter ....touching the red and the violet I get 12.3 volts in the "on" position. Nothing when in the "off" position. I mentioned earlier that the wiring diagram said "red/yellow" but I have "red" which I believe just bypasses the circuit breaker (The red has a constant 12.3v when connecting the volt meter and using a ground. Does that sound right?

Also mentioned before......if I have power for the violet wire at the switch but the gauges do not cycle or work, does that mean I have a disconnect in between? Could it be that the circuit board has gone bad?
    Last edited by Bend; 05-27-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: boat cranks but wont start

I thought you said you replaced or tested it v already!?!? That should've been the first step.... You can get the same part at Napa for $9.. Search the forum... The one wire should only get power when there's oil pressure when the engine is running..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead