Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zebra Mussels at it again...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Its-a...168209276.html

This really sucks because Lake Lewisville is tied to the Trinity River basin which means that Lake Livingston and the Trinity River will eventually get infested.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Dude that sucks. We have them where I'm from in michigan. No more going in the water without water shoes. They stick to everythinggggg and will cut you so bad, you'll wish they didn't cut you so bad. (Family guy ref)
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

They clean up the lakes, but boy are they a pain.

Very small and sharp like razor blades. Paper cuts that bleed like a stuck pig..

They like to live in stagnant water up to about 10 ft deep I believe. Wave action keeps them off the beach. But yes a god pair of Solomon water shoes will do the trick.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Great post and heads up..
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

we have them in all our lakes here. Not that big of a deal for watersports except they like to stick to the slalom course booms- gotta wear gloves when replacing buoys or they'll slice your hands. Like jmvotto they clean up the lakes and make the water clearer which the fishermen don't like and if you own a power plant they're a real pain.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

What do the states that have zebra mussels do about boaters trailering to other lakes? Are they "tagged" or identified in someway each time they leave? We supposedly have the zebra mussel larvae here in Colorado , but as of last year they ( fish , wildlife , parks) have yet to find an adult mussel. I could be wrong with my facts, since haven't checked since the January boat show here. I would like to know how other states have been dealing with them.
    Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

nobody here worries or even talks about them- we're too preoccupied with keeping the flying carp out of the great lakes. I guess they just figure zebras are in all the lakes anyways which is true of the lakes on which I boat. Honestly I'm not even sure what I would have to do to my boat to purge it of the mussels if I were going to travel to a non-mussel lake- bleach the ballast system? I dunno. I'd think if you saw a boat heading your way from Indiana better give it a good inspection. They used to be a problem on the beach area in our ski lake but the water level dropped last fall and they haven't re-established there again yet. They've cleared the water up enough in the ski lake that we sometimes talk about how nice they are to have around. I one time saw some hippies trying to cook and eat them- that had to be a ton of work for the amount of meat they got.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    nobody here worries or even talks about them- we're too preoccupied with keeping the flying carp out of the great lakes.
    What in the sam hell is a flying carp? Sounds terrifying.

Remind me never to go on the water on the Great Lakes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

These are Asian carp. They put an electric barrier right next to my old plant in lemont Illinois to try to keep them out of the great lakes. They are FEROCIOUS eaters and definitely threaten the great lakes ecosystem. You can see here people go on bow fishing charters for them. The boat motor startles them and the jump......everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-e8...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by lewisb13; 09-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Yes but the Asian capr make for great sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN2gMP3Q2Z4
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V