Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    ...Keep in mind that the cable gauge calc's need to include the length of the GND cables as well. I bet if you recalculated using 3", that you would come closer to 4ga.
    Oops!! Nope, didn't include the ground length! That's why we shouldn't let civil/structural engineers do wire sizing!

...You can use a pair of non-fused distribution blocks or BUSS bars. If you do go with marine BUSS bar, like what you probably looked at at West Marine, I would recommend one with a cover for the B+.
    Excellent suggestion, as I know someone at sometime is still gonna want to shove some towels into the storage locker.

Thanks again, Eric.

Revised per the comments - How does this one look?

And thanks again to all you guys that have helped.

Eric.

You show the Blue Sea ACR wired directly to the Blue Sea switch. Don't the Blue Sea directions show the ACR wired directly to the batteries? What am I missing?
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

When an on-board shore charger is part of the mix, the ACR needs to be wired to the load side of the switch so its not combined with the batteries when the boat is off and the shore charger is on. If the ACR was terminated directly to the battery, it would close due to the charger voltage and combine the batteries. This prevents the two banks, which are used vastly different, from being properly conditioned by the charger.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    When an on-board shore charger is part of the mix, the ACR needs to be wired to the load side of the switch so its not combined with the batteries when the boat is off and the shore charger is on. If the ACR was terminated directly to the battery, it would close due to the charger voltage and combine the batteries. This prevents the two banks, which are used vastly different, from being properly conditioned by the charger.

Does that make sense?
    Even with a two bank charger I need to go from the ACR to the switch? Mine is ACR to battery with a pro20 charger.

-Jake
    -Jake

If you have the ACR wired directly to the batteries, even with a two bank charger, the ACR will try to combine the batteries and the charger will not condition each battery separately. If you have the ACR wired directly to the batteries you need to have a breaker or some way to disconnect the ACR from the batteries. Then the two bank charger will see each battery separately and will condition each battery individually. The way shown above just allows the ACR to work with the boat in normal operating mode and the charger to work when the switch is off, without having to have additional breakers.

Hope that is clear as mud.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Thanks, I'll change it.

-Jake
    -Jake

I guess I could just pull the ground on the ACR and it would work?

-Jake
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    I guess I could just pull the ground on the ACR and it would work?

-Jake
    Yes, interrupting the ACR's ground wire will prevent it from combining during shore charging.

If you wanted to add a third battery to this (2 combined for stereo / 1 for house) would you just daisy chain (pos to pos and neg to neg) the two for stereo? Would the ACR and Charger be "aware" and treat it as one large stereo batter?

Awesome stuff gentleman!