Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gator Grip

Default Gator Grip

Decided to finally replace swim platform pad with Gator Grip. Any tips on ordering, and installation on a 2002 Outback LS?
    Fins to the left.

2002 Outback LS

Why Gator Grip?

It's hard to cut and most installs don't exactly look like they have been done by a professional.

I had a sample of the stuff once. It never made it on the platform - in fact it went out with the garbage.

Look into SeaDek. Spend the extra $$ and get it done right the 1st time.

hydroturf.com has a lot more selection and is a little easier to work with.

PWI as usual...

I have a SeaDek pad on my platform. I also have some Hydroturf in other areas of my boat. Both are nice. I would recommend SeaDek for the platform. Good colors, patterns, and its already shaped-less work.

Hydro turf is nice too. Not as thick as Seadek. Can cut with a good scissors. If you take some sand paper to the edge it will really smooth out prior to application.

No experience with Gator Grip.

I would recommend making a template prior to removing the old material though.
    Last edited by Hoopskier; 07-15-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Hydro turf is nice too. Not as thick as Seadek
    Are there different variations? I just put some hydroturf on my trailer for that is a good 1/4" thick. I think it's a bit rougher to the touch than seadek though. I always thought seadek was a little spongy.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Berg- Your right, hydro turf is about 1/4" thick but the Seadek platform pad is a little thicker, about 1-2 milimeter. It had to do with the two colors on the platform pad.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Newty has got me thinking about replacing the carpet with Seadek on the removable floor portion of my OBV.

I think it would be better than the carpet and would be easier to clean. The only negative thing I can think of is that you would see the dirty foot prints when people are getting in and out of the boat.

The only way that I can think of mitigating this would be to go with a dark colour but you can only choose between storm gray or black. Wish there was something in between the two like a charcoal or titanium.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Any Pics of Hydroturf? Im close to replacing my swim step pad with either Seadek or Hydroturf. Seadeck is selling uncut pieces for about $140.. thats quite a bit cheaper than the 240 for a custom cut one, and it might arive sooner. Would be more work, but my pad is in three pieces, shouldn't be that hard. Peel the old pad off and use as a template.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

usaski1-if you go to the hydroturf website, they will send you some samples for free if you request them (or they used to, not sure if they still do). They have lots of options for colors and textures. Check this thread for some pics of mine.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....adek+hydroturf

Also you will want to make a template before you pull the old stuff off, it will stretch and deform.
    Last edited by Hoopskier; 07-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.

I put Gator on my 02 ls in 04 or 05 and it is breaking down. I went with black and white.
    I did a large strip on the transom to protect it and its starting to change. I also put two strips on either gunnel side aprox 2 1/2 feet long as stepping points and the whole material is starting to disinegrate. I would guess exposure to the sun and cleaners over time have taken their toll.
    CS