Hybrid View

Default Head Unit Noise... Help!

I have a stock setup with 2 kicker amps and the kenwood head unit. Ever since I bought my boat last summer I have had a whine coming from the speakers when the engine is running. The source is the head unit and I am sure it is a gtound issue but not sure how to fix it... I trird tracing the HU ground with no success... I dont want to start cutting wires without some guidance lol... Any help is greatly appreciated...
    2008 LSV 1100s 650IBS Reversible Pumps w\Timers

If your boat has dual batteries, its probably a B+ problem. Amps are probably terminating to one battery, head-unit is terminating to the other.

I only have 1 battery right now... I do want to moved to Batteries next year though...
    Last edited by eblom; 08-25-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Mis type

Noise in the form of alternator whine is usually from either wide open amplifier input gains or a ground/supply loop (varying resistance and voltage potential).
    Before doing anything verify that the noise is on all sources (tuner, CD, ipod, etc.)
    Reduce the amplifer gains to no more than 50 percent and have another listen.
    Identify the source unit supply and ground. Label everything before cutting a wire. Remove the source unit 12 V supply and ground from the factory harness and run a 14-gauge + & - to the primary terminals of the amplifier or to the same battery terminals that the amplifier is connected to as long as the amplifier and battery are close together.
    There are ways to restore the keyed or switching function once you have a noise remedy.
    There are countless other reasons for noise but this is a good place to begin.

David
    Earmark Marine

Thank you David... I will check it out this weekend