Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

The intended role and benefits of ACRs are clear but some aspects of an ACR are not so simple. You have to understand that we deviate a little from the Blue Sea instructions because intially they envisioned a single bank charger to maintain both banks and even stated this fact. The largest anticipated draw at rest was instrumentation like a depthfinder. Blue Sea did not envision this product being used for massive stereos with massive battery banks that are deeply depleted and therefore must be charged/conditioned independently. You will NEVER see an ACR used between a starting battery and a large trolling motor bank because that will exceed the functionality of an ACR. Yet we have placed this device in an application with a similar demand and where its behaviors will change under different circumstances. So in our application an ACR may increase our dependency on AC shore charging and we definitely need isolated shore charging. The 5511e dual circuit switch becomes an essential appendage, not only for isolated shore charging but in some applications it is necessary to manually circumvent the ACR.
    We have analyzed every possible scenario in arriving at our recommended wiring scheme. MLA and many others, like Earmark, have independently arrived at the same conclusions.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    The intended role and benefits of ACRs are clear but some aspects of an ACR are not so simple. You have to understand that we deviate a little from the Blue Sea instructions because intially they envisioned a single bank charger to maintain both banks and even stated this fact. The largest anticipated draw at rest was instrumentation like a depthfinder. Blue Sea did not envision this product being used for massive stereos with massive battery banks that are deeply depleted and therefore must be charged/conditioned independently. You will NEVER see an ACR used between a starting battery and a large trolling motor bank because that will exceed the functionality of an ACR. Yet we have placed this device in an application with a similar demand and where its behaviors will change under different circumstances. So in our application an ACR may increase our dependency on AC shore charging and we definitely need isolated shore charging. The 5511e dual circuit switch becomes an essential appendage, not only for isolated shore charging but in some applications it is necessary to manually circumvent the ACR.
    We have analyzed every possible scenario in arriving at our recommended wiring scheme. MLA and many others, like Earmark, have independently arrived at the same conclusions.

David
    Earmark Marine
    thanks for totally not answering my question
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    thanks for totally not answering my question
    David,
    Don't take it personally but I never intended to answer your question. I was just commenting on the general aspects of ACRs.
    Since you directed your comment specifically at me here is my answer to your question.
    The intentions of the Blue Sea wiring diagram is to disconnect both battery banks from their dedicated circuits while in storage. I think it's a good idea to have a disconnect on any battery during long term storage in case of a parasitic draw. I definitely want the memory circuit disconnected which can deplete a perfectly good battery in less than four weeks. I see no good reason to deviate from the product's instructions on this one.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    David,
    Don't take it personally but I never intended to answer your question. I was just commenting on the general aspects of ACRs.
    Since you directed your comment specifically at me here is my answer to your question.
    The intentions of the Blue Sea wiring diagram is to disconnect both battery banks from their dedicated circuits while in storage. I think it's a good idea to have a disconnect on any battery during long term storage in case of a parasitic draw. I definitely want the memory circuit disconnected which can deplete a perfectly good battery in less than four weeks. I see no good reason to deviate from the product's instructions on this one.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Ok I understand the concern about a parasitic drain but if you are using a dedicated shore charger then a small parasitic drain should not have any affect should it?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Ok I understand the concern about a parasitic drain but if you are using a dedicated shore charger then a small parasitic drain should not have any affect should it?
    That could be true IF you have an isolated 2-bank charger. Some do not and a charger could fail. For those that keep their boat in a slip, winter storms often cut out power for long periods. Commercial storage facilities may not keep track of this either. Once a battery is drawn down too low and represents too great of a current draw a small charger will go into self protection and halt charging. So it depends on your particular situation. My position is a little different in that I have to prepare a boat for every continguency.

David
    Earmark Marine

Ok cool. Thanks, that does answer my question!

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

Ron, not that it's right (I'm no stereo guru) but I wired my SurePower 1314 VSR, parallel circuit battery switch, and dual bank charger as you have shown (stereo only on the second battery). My thinking was like yours in that the batteries need to be completely disconnected and isolated from each other to take advantage of the dual bank charger functionality.

I've only been running a short time since the completing the rebuild, but it all seems to function as intended. I've got the voltmeter in the dash for the main battery and another on the stereo circuit just ahead of the amp dist block. I can see the voltage differential after running the stereo only & hear the relay open once the stereo drops the voltage too low or close when I fire the engine back up to start charging the stereo battery. I'm running two Optima Blues & heard that proper charging maintenance was key to performance, so this just seemed to make sense.

I do remember that things got crowded around the switch lugs with that many heavy ring terminals (but I was working in a pretty confined space).
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project