Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

These are the amps that I was looking at,
    • Any thoughts or comments?

Sub:
    XD600/1: Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier, 600 W Running one JL Audio W6-12"

Tower: XD200/2: 2 Ch. Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 200 W Running two sets of Kicker KS65s (wired to 2 ohm)

In-Boat: XD400/4: 4 Ch. Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 400 W Running three sets of Kicker KS65s (one set wired to 4 ohm & 2 sets wired to 2 ohm)

Thanks, Eric.

I would recommend more then 50W rms to each of those KS65 on the tower. In the neighborhood of 100W to each would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I would recommend more then 50W rms to each of those KS65 on the tower. In the neighborhood of 100W to each would be perfect.
    That is why I am asking as I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

If I run the 4 ohm tower speakers wired as one pair at 2 ohm, doesn't that amp supply 100 W x 2 @ 2 Ω?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    That is why I am asking as I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

If I run the 4 ohm tower speakers wired as one pair at 2 ohm, doesn't that amp supply 100 W x 2 @ 2 Ω?

Eric
    That is correct, but with the two 4 ohm speakers wired to a chnl, they divide that 100W. So each speaker nets 50W.

That is correct, but with the two 4 ohm speakers wired to a chnl, they divide that 100W. So each speaker nets 50W.
    So these 2 channel amps arent perpetual energy machines!!!

• Then to run the tower speakers, do I run a 4-channel amp bridged?

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    So these 2 channel amps arent perpetual energy machines!!!

• Then to run the tower speakers, do I run a 4-channel amp bridged?

Eric.
    You on the right path in thinking a 2-chnl for the 4 towers, you just need a 2 chnl with a higher 2 ohm output. Look for one that has a 2 ohm x 2 in the neighborhood of 200W. This will then equal 100W to each of the 4 speakers. Using a 2chnl means less speaker wire running up the tower.

You can go with a 4 chnl to drive those 4 KS65 if needed. You can run 4 speaker wires pairs up the tower, so each speaker is on its own chnl. Or, run two pairs up the tower and wire the left 2 in series (8 ohm) and bridge them on 1 half the amp and do the same for the right pair on wire them to the other half. When series/bridged, each speaker will receive the amps 4 ohm x 4 output. I would only go this route is running wires is looking to be a huge job. A 2 chnl is still the better route. But again, more power to those towers is a suggestion and not a have to. The extra power will help them out with them being located in the open environment like the tower as compared to down in the cabin.

... you just need a 2 chnl with a higher 2 ohm output. Look for one that has a 2 ohm x 2 in the neighborhood of 200W. This will then equal 100W to each of the 4 speakers. Using a 2chnl means less speaker wire running up the tower.
    1. Any suggestions on class D amps for the tower that puts out 200W at 2 ohms?
    2. And suggestions for the in-boats?
    3. Should I wire my two sets of main cabin speakers parrallel to 2 ohm and run the bow speakers at 4 ohm? (will this screw up the amp?)
    If I sound confused, it is because I am.

Eric.

2) Your choice of the XD400/4 is perfect for the 3 pair of in-boats
    3) Yes, wire just like that. I typically wire port bow to chnl-1. stbd bow to chnl-2, mid and aft port parallel to chnl-3 @ 2 ohm and mid and aft stbd on chnl-4 @ 2 ohm.
    1) Honestly, I do not see a JL 2 chnl that fits the bill. Of the JL line the HD/MHD600.4 would be the my 4 chnl option.

If you wanted to step outside the JL line for amps:
    In-boats and sub = Kicker IX1000.5 will deliver 500W to your W6 D4 and 75W to each in-boat
    Tower = IX500.2 will deliver 125W to each KS65

If you wanted to step outside the JL line for amps:
    In-boats and sub = Kicker IX1000.5 will deliver 500W to your W6 D4 and 75W to each in-boat
    Tower = IX500.2 will deliver 125W to each KS65
    MLA, thanks for the suggestions. I dont mind going outside the JL arena for amps.

Do the Kicker amps hold up well?

Thanks again for all the help. Eric

Eric,
    The Kicker Class D 2-channel would be fine for the tower.
    The KS65 is rated at 65 watts rms, right? You can definitely exceed that by some margin in the highpass mode. Alot is demanded from tower speakers so a little more power is a good idea.
    As tested, the actual power of a JL Audio XD200/2 into a 2-ohm load will be 2 X 140 watts rms with a 14.4 volt supply so 70 watts to each speaker. That's okay and within 1.25 dB of 100 watts per speaker. It's questionable whether you can discern that difference, especially in any environment with any degree of ambient noise. Still, a bit more power wouldn't hurt.
    The JL Audio XD400/4 in the bridged mode with the left speakers in series and the right speakers in series would get an actual (as tested) 84 watts to each of four speakers. A little better. And, by running the amplifier more conservatively this provides more headroom and a little cleaner signal.
    The JL Audio HD750/1 is often used as a tower amplifier but in reality delivers well over 800 watts and is considerably more robust as a strictly regulated amplifier. It's more power and less cost than the HD600/4 but is definitely overkill.

David
    Earmark Marine