Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What boards are yall riding???

I know another "what blah blah should I buy?" thread....

Right now I have a Liquid force (5ft) and a Liquid force custom (4-10) and I am looking for something better. I am around 190-200lbs and I am finding that I am too heavy for the custom, it is becoming the GFs board. The other liquid force I have is just too slow and heavy. I am looking to get into something faster, lighter and more agile but there are so many boards out there I dont know where to start.

I hate to use the dreaded drive/push words but I am really looking for something faster. I can ride wireless and get some kicks of the wake but just finding it hard to get enough speed to really get some air.

Last thing I want to do is keep buying boards that I dont like. I have looked around an no one around me lets you demo boards, unless I drive up to Austin, which isnt very convenient.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

I have finally got my boat wave dialed in and am now seeing the limitations of the boards I am riding.
    2002 Mobius LSV
    SA, Texas

You can look into The Walker Project. IF you can find somewhere that STOCKS them that's the way to go. I have a 4'8 F18 built as a triple that we ride as a twin and it is a rocket down the line. You can recover from a mile back and if I had any more skill could air it out like no other. The board wants to fly.

Buying direct from TWP however, I'll never go that route again. 3 terrible experiences with 3 different boards from them learned me that lesson.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    You can look into The Walker Project. IF you can find somewhere that STOCKS them that's the way to go. I have a 4'8 F18 built as a triple that we ride as a twin and it is a rocket down the line. You can recover from a mile back and if I had any more skill could air it out like no other. The board wants to fly.

Buying direct from TWP however, I'll never go that route again. 3 terrible experiences with 3 different boards from them learned me that lesson.

I have heard lots of good stuff about the Bomb Pop but it seems to be as elusive as Bigfoot.
    2002 Mobius LSV
    SA, Texas

I'm 200lb 6'2" and I ride a 5'3" LF Fish. It's nice and fast so, and I need all the speed I can get to stay in the pocket behind my LS. Yeatesrday I was able to ride for quite a while ropeless seeing as I finally have the ballast figured out and I can carve and weave too. I can't doo the same on my buddy's 5'0" Ronix Koal or my other buddy's 5'0" Shaka, plus both of those boards are waaaaay too squirrely for my liking. I think If I had been able tyo get the LF Fish 5'6" on sale like I did with the 5'3" I have, it would have been perfect and much more forgiving as far as being able to stay in the pocket.
    2017 Moomba Craz

I am 5'11" 200 even and switch between 2 now-

on the supra wave, I loved my inland 4skim. that wave was a blast to ride on a short skimboard, but it has been retired from my lineup on the boat now. my friend still loves it and it's all he will ride. he's 6ft, 220 or so.

the 2 I switch to now are a phase5 daniello pro carbon. it's nice and stable and can be ok to ride, but I bought a ronix koal 4'10"(yes, the pink womens version as I love the color and it's the same board as the guys 4'10model) and I absolutely love it on the wave I have now.

my next board will be a soulcraft custom as he's right around the corner from me and is an awesome guy, but I can't seem to find a spare 5bills

I have found that everyone can recommend what they like, but seems that every board rides different to every person based on your height/weight and the actual shape and characteristics of the boat wake you are riding..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I ride and inland surfer Red Rocket, fun, very stable, and bouyant, but not to easy to trick around on.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Hyperlite landlock. It was a great board to learn on before I started adding ballast since I'm 6'4" 220, but now that I'm riding more aggressively and my wave has progressed it can't keep up. I'm looking at the daniello pro carbon or the diamond as my next board.

Sandm: I'd love to hear more insight on your board selection and riding style
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

my opinion. read if you like..

a lot of the board selection and what you are happy with comes down to the wake off the boat. the supra I had was a tall and steep wake with a ton of push but didn't have a lot of length, therefore a very small sweet spot to work on, but once you found it, you could ride for miles with zero effort. that said, here's how I came to the boards I have..

no real riding style per se. I don't do 360's/air(haven't really tried working on 360's yet and too fat to catch a ton of air), but I do really like to work the wake and ride up/down/back/forward. I have gotten pretty good at lipslides. I would consider myself an above average rider imo.
    I started out on a hyperlite broadcast in '07 as that's what they recommended for beginners. grew out of it quickly and bought the 4skim the next spring. it was a very fast and easy to spin board and suited the wake on the supra well.. decided to look for a different board in late '08 or so. being a boating noob, I thought that a new board would help ride the wake better. demo'ed a prop and loved it, so found the cash and bought the daniello pro. it's the same basic shape and size as the prop, but was touted as a ton lighter. it rode the wake well and I like the fact that it's almost as fast as the skim but has more surface area and a different fin setup so it grips the top of the wake better.

all of this was prior to meeting jeff at soulcraft and nick-a sponsored rider for triplexxx. I have ridden some amazing boards from both(probably close to 15 in the last 2 years-got to ride a carbon skim prototype never released from xxx and it was almost identical to the daniello but a lot lighter yet-would have been a big hit), both skim and surf style and have decided that surf style was what I like now. that's how I ended up with the ronix koal. it's a much different ride than either the skim or daniello. fast, but seems much more planted and able to generate speed down the wave.

as mentioned, a lot of this has to do with the wake your boat creates as to how the boards feel. I didn't have a chance to ride the ronix on the supra, but I really think it would have been hard to ride as the spot was so small on that boat, but the wave I have now has been a blast with the surf style and can't wait to get my hands on another one..

fwiw, wake from supra with a buddy riding the 4skim. not very far back but steep..

a friend riding the wake now. that board is a custom one-off from Calibrated riding called a piscus. similar to the daniello and very lightweight, but has a different edge to it. not real rounded..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I'm 5'8" 205lbs and ride a phase 5 Razz, love it... only has one fin so it's a little squirrely but i'm trying to learn 360's so it's nice for that...

geof
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Thanks for the feedback sandm!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018