Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Replying to Topic 'New Boat Pricing'

Originally posted by Swairlines

SkiHard,

I might be wrong in my thinking here but here goes anyway...

I have an 05 Outback and in the short time I've owned it I've had at least 3 wake waves come over my bow (when turning around to pick up a dropped skier/wakeboarder). The amount of water that came over my bow was something on the order of 20 gallons. The entire port side of the boat interior got wet. So you'll have to think about this....

Fresh water is about 7 lbs per gallon. Salt water is going to be more (I dont know how much more though)....

I dont know if I would rely on a bow cover to hold up to the approximate 140 lbs of water weight.

Too much risk for me...

Jeff
    Yea I'm not certain a cover is gonna be able to hold up to it, but don't fret about dunking your bow in your own wake when picking up a skier, you can pretty much do that on any open bow boat. I did it once when I was little and my dad flipped, and haven't done it since, but I've been there when it happens, can be avoided by not driving straight into the wake. I'm really not at all concerned about the boat getting dunked when I'm driving though, I'm used avoiding the massive wakes around here. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about when the boat is just sitting there, not under power at all, this is when I can see the bow cover being useful because you are not driving into a wave under power, so there should be much less stress. Though, having just looked at a whole bunch of pics of the gekko, I'm thinking its gonna be the moomba, they call the gekko a 22, but thats INCLUDING the swimplatform (since they are molded in) and its only 21'7" at that, so its really a 19 foot boat, and the cramped interior reflects it.

Originally posted by Swairlines

SkiHard,

I might be wrong in my thinking here but here goes anyway...

I have an 05 Outback and in the short time I've owned it I've had at least 3 wake waves come over my bow (when turning around to pick up a dropped skier/wakeboarder). The amount of water that came over my bow was something on the order of 20 gallons. The entire port side of the boat interior got wet. So you'll have to think about this....

Fresh water is about 7 lbs per gallon. Salt water is going to be more (I dont know how much more though)....

I dont know if I would rely on a bow cover to hold up to the approximate 140 lbs of water weight.

Too much risk for me...

Jeff
    Yea I'm not certain a cover is gonna be able to hold up to it, but don't fret about dunking your bow in your own wake when picking up a skier, you can pretty much do that on any open bow boat. I did it once when I was little and my dad flipped, and haven't done it since, but I've been there when it happens, can be avoided by not driving straight into the wake. I'm really not at all concerned about the boat getting dunked when I'm driving though, I'm used avoiding the massive wakes around here. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about when the boat is just sitting there, not under power at all, this is when I can see the bow cover being useful because you are not driving into a wave under power, so there should be much less stress. Though, having just looked at a whole bunch of pics of the gekko, I'm thinking its gonna be the moomba, they call the gekko a 22, but thats INCLUDING the swimplatform (since they are molded in) and its only 21'7" at that, so its really a 19 foot boat, and the cramped interior reflects it.

I've had water come over my windshield from my own wake, picking someone up. I'm still working the kinks out.

Any inboard wakeboard boat has the potential of letting water come over the bow. This is especially prevalent with the 21' footers.........MC SAN Moomba etc. With any wakeboard/ski boat you should always completely come off the throttle and let the boat coast after someone comes off and after the follow wake passes you idle turn and pick up your rider. This will also keep other boarders on the lake happy. In regards to the gekko or the X-9, you can get an LSV for around 37,000 with all the options at boat show prices. If you predominately wakeboard you will be happier with the v-drive config. V's also have a lot more room inside.........as a disclaimer......this is all IMO

Yea, I get water over the front when I want to get the girls wet.

Other than that - tubing I have done it twice by mistake. With boarders stop reverse, back inside my own wake & no problems. The tubes I yank & bank, they fly off & I cut the throttle going into the last part of a doughnut. Oh, you get some water then, kinda slow motion too cus you can see it coming.

The stuff I want dry is in plastic buckets.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Like NCO said, any and all ski boats have this problem. It's not the boat, it's the driver. You can't drive it like a big "V" drive boat, you have to totally come off of the throttle, let the wake pass you, then turn to pick up the skier. All small ski boats are the same.
    You'll get it. It's all about how you drive the boat. You have to be careful about how you pull your powere back as well. If your throttle movement is too fast you'll scoop water. It took me a while to get it, but when you want a boat with a tournament wake, you'll have these issues 'till you get used to it.